MP Lacrosse Update

A new lacrosse season has begun, but the team has different look than it did last year. Last year’s head coach David Metzbower left in the fall to be an Assistant Coach at Loyola, the defending NCAA Lacrosse champions. He was replaced with the once and now current lacrosse coach, John McEvoy. He is in the Malvern Athletic Hall of Fame, and he also played for Villanova and the NLL’s Philadelphia Wings.

Although we lost 17 players in all to graduation, this year’s team is still stacked with talent. The team has a solid defense, starting with senior goalie Matt Barrett (committed to Virginia), who has recovered from tearing his ACL during football season. It also includes seniors Chad Rafferty (Maryland), Jared Horoski (Delaware), Steve Satterthwaite (Hofstra), and juniors Greg Pelton (Duke) and Chris Isenberg (Penn State). The midfield is led by: seniors Joe Carlini (Johns Hopkins), Tommy O’Connor (Bucknell), Chris Hilburn (Penn), and Gavin Weaver (Delaware). Kevin McGeary (Penn), Drew Schantz (Notre Dame), and face-off specialist Charles Kelly (North Carolina) will make key contributions. Our attack is led by Joe Dunn (Marquette), Eddie McLoughlin (Marquette), Conor Glancy (Army), and Ryan “Sparky” Hilburn.

Four returning players last year received All-Inter Ac honors. Matt Barrett, Greg Pelton, and Joe Carlini were each All-Inter Ac first team. Chad Rafferty received honorable mention in addition to being named team captain. We won our first scrimmage on March 7 against St. Augustine’s Prep with a great defensive performance and three-goal efforts by Ryan Hilburn and Tommy O’Connor. Our first game is on Saturday, March 16 at 12 P.M. at home on the football field.   Our competitors are ranked 13th in the country, so we will need the edge coming from the student section.