Malvern Rugby Looking Forward to Inaugural Varsity Season

The Malvern rugby team had its first practice of the season Saturday, Feb. 9th. An optimistic coaching staff and talented roster started what is looking to be their most important and exciting season yet.

The four-year-old program will be recognized as an official varsity team for the first time since its formation, and they are looking to prove themselves worthy of their new role. The team began its season with a high-energy practice by an eclectic group of athletes who all bring their own talents to the team. The returning players were trying to hone in their existing skills while the newcomers showed their natural athletic ability. To top it off, they are led by one of the most experienced coaching staffs in the State.

“We have Malvern’s most experienced team to date and with many key players returning I feel like we can do some damage,” said senior John McCurdy.

“I’m really excited to see how we can build on the success from the past few years. We have proven ourselves as one of the best teams in the state the past few years, and I expect nothing less this year,” said head coach John Foley. “The new guys picked it up quick, and the experienced guys came back stronger than ever.”

Rugby is a rising sport in America, which means that most players don’t have the luxury of playing from an early age. Players are challenged to learn the sport on the fly and the coaching staff saw this ability thriving with the all of the players.

These talented newcomers complement the skilled veterans perfectly, creating the most dynamic and talented team yet.

Malvern Rugby is on track to have its most successful season yet, and anyone interested in the team is encouraged to join. You can visit the team website or email head coach John Foley at [email protected]