Cooper Frankenheimer

The Fantastic Mr. Frankenheimer excels at athletics—and SnapChat.

On the second floor of Duffy, freshman Cooper Frankenheimer glances out the grand window at the variegated campus. Frankenheimer likes to come here often to find silence to complete his work with a view.

“I like to come here to do work,” Frankenheimer said. “You get a great look at campus while being able to do homework or whatever.”

Frankenheimer came to Malvern in the fall of 2017 but found himself stumbling after his transition from Great Valley High School. Frankenheimer originally went to Great Valley as he lives in the Malvern borough with his two siblings Gavin and Mason, who both go to GVHS.

“At the beginning I was a little ‘ehh’ just because I was missing GV,” Frankenheimer said. “As it’s gone on, I’ve started to really like it.”

After finding new friends and a fondness for the good ol’ Malvern schedule, Frankenheimer warmed up to the school.

“I like the schedule a lot. The way you don’t have every class, every day,” Frankenheimer said. “It’s more college-like which is cool.”

Frankenheimer also says that he enjoys the different environment in classes, especially his science class.

“I like the stuff we’re learning and I like how you do a lot of labs,” he said. “It’s hands-on which is different.”

Though Cooper may be new to the Malvern experience, his mother Athletic Department Assistant Mrs. MaryFran Frankenheimer has been working at Malvern Prep for several years. She says that her ability to have good relationships with students has allowed her to work with her son effectively.

“I think my good relationship with the students helps Cooper accept me at work,” she said. “Especially since I am sort of on the coaching staff of the lacrosse team and I’m involved in athletics. My role here is good so I feel like that helps.”

Frankenheimer originally came to Malvern for the sports but also says that he was looking for a better overall high school experience.

“I play football, basketball and lacrosse,” Frankenheimer said. “Lacrosse is my favorite though. I look forward to it all year but have only been playing it for the past few years.”

Frankenheimer is one of only two freshmen on this year’s varsity lacrosse squad.

Although, his mother has more fondness for his basketball play. She enjoys being able to see her son’s full face, not his helmet.

“It’s a much more intimate setting, and I feel like you see the vulnerability of a kid on the basketball court because they can’t hide that emotion on their face,” Frankenheimer said. “You feel the game a little bit differently.”

Not only does she get to see Cooper on the court and in school but also at home. She describes him as transparent and no different than usual off campus grounds.

“He’s a passionate, competitive, empathetic, kind, young man,” she said. “He acts pretty much the same. Fun, pretty laid back, nice to be around.”

Frankenheimer’s friend freshman Jade Bennett at the Academy of Notre Dame de Namur went to school with him in middle school and describes him as a hard worker.

“He’s determined I would say,” Bennett said. “He works really hard at his sports and his work. He’s also a savage, pretty cool kid.”

Bennett says that they share many fond memories but one that sticks out to her includes their Snapchats.

“We would send these pictures where we were shooting finger guns at each other and mentally I always heard this ‘ah-ha’ sound,” she said. “We recreated our pictures in person one time. Good stuff. Had to be there.”

Frankenheimer has made many new friends through his Malvern experience and has enjoyed his time so far but he still fears the worst.

“Spiders,” Frankenheimer said. “I hate ’em. I try not to think about sharks.”