Peter Nguyen

Senior can be found on any basketball court at Malvern, anytime.

Standing at 5 feet 7 inches tall, senior Peter Nguyen does not look like someone who would have a passion for playing basketball.

“I think I really started playing [basketball] a lot when I came to Malvern,” Nguyen said. “I would play a lot during some of my community times and after school.”

Although Nguyen can almost always be seen with a basketball in his hand, he does not play for Malvern’s team. He keeps it strictly recreational.

“I really like playing pickup basketball because you don’t need as many guys, and I’m not really good enough to play for an actual varsity team,” he said.

While Nguyen might admit that he is not good enough to play on Malvern’s varsity team, he can still hold his own out on the court. Nguyen is consistent with his jump shot and is always looking to dish the ball to someone to score.

“The strongest facet of my game is definitely the three-point shot,” Nguyen said. “But I also love passing dimes to whoever else is on my team.”

Senior David Wiener has played pickup basketball with Nguyen a couple of times. He said that every time he plays with Nguyen, he is surprised by his skill set.

“Peter doesn’t look like he’d be the best basketball player, but he consistently destroys me when we play,” Wiener said.

Nguyen lives in Oaks, Pennsylvania with his two parents and his sister. He attended Visitation B.V.M. for grade school.

“When I tell people that I live in Oaks, I tell them that it’s really close to where Skyzone is. They usually know where I’m talking about right after that,” he said.

Although he lives pretty far from Malvern, Nguyen has many friends from the school that he regularly hangs out with. One of his closest friends at Malvern is senior Patrick Keenan.

“Pete is just a great kid and a great student. I can always go to him when I am struggling with school work, but he is also fun to be around and to non-school related stuff,” Keenan said.

Nguyen has consistently been a very strong student at Malvern and takes multiple Honors and AP classes. He said that one of his favorite teachers at Malvern has been Mr. Thomas Pannulla.

“Math has always been one of my favorite subjects and I’ve had Mr. Pannulla for pre-calc and BC calc,” Nguyen said. “I like how Mr. Pannulla teaches the topics and I just like to be in his class.”

Pannulla reiterated that Peter is a great student and a great kid to have in class.

“Peter is one of my top students and I’m happy that I’ve had him in my class for two years,” Pannulla said. “He works great with his other classmates and is always contributing productively in class.”

Nguyen’s time at Malvern will soon be coming to an end and he has loved nearly every second he has spent here. He’s looking forward to the next four years in college where he will attend Drexel University.

“Malvern has been an amazing experience and I have no regrets coming here,” Nguyen said.

Nguyen hopes to continue his basketball career through college.

“Whether it’s a rec-league or pick up, I always have to be ready in case the scouts come. You never know when your next opportunity will be,” he said.