Two Friars, two baseball players, one destination

Seniors Billy Corcoran and Brady Devereux will be taking their baseball talents to the University of Pittsburgh.

With a few weeks left in their Malvern baseball careers, seniors Billy Corcoran and Brady Devereux are hoping to make the most out of them. After reclaiming the Inter-Ac Championship in a victory over Springside Chestnut Hill on May 8, they have one remaining goal: win the state championship.  

After suffering a couple tough early losses, including Inter-Ac rivals Episcopal Academy and Germantown Academy, the team has been on a tear as of late, winning ten straight games.  During this run, Devereux has seen a lot of development from each member of the Malvern baseball program.

“I think we are doing pretty well as a team,” Devereux said. “We have definitely stepped up with some of the younger guys, and a lot of the younger guys have grown into the program and the Malvern baseball culture.”

[perfectpullquote align=”left” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“I think Malvern coaches run their ship pretty close to college baseball. I definitely see accountability in both staffs. Coach Hilliard expects the best out of you and that is what you should expect when you go to college.”

-Billy Corcoran ’18

[/perfectpullquote]

Corcoran, who was recently named MVP of the All-Inter-Ac Baseball Team, acknowledged the team’s early struggles, but has watched the team turn things completely around.

“The first part of the season wasn’t the best but we really picked it up,” Corcoran said. “We are on a roll, and I think things are going well.”

This year, the varsity baseball team’s core values are selflessness, energy, and excellence. Corcoran believes they have been the keys to the team’s success.

“We have tried to emphasize those this year and I think most of our players do have those core values,” Corcoran said. “I am going to try to carry them with me for as long as I play baseball and even out of baseball. They are good things to have even when you are not on the field.”

Among the three, Devereux chose which one he values the most.

“I think selflessness is probably the bigger thing that I take away that the coaches have really drilled in me. I think that is one of the most important parts of being a good person, being able to put other people in front of yourself,” Devereux said.

Next year, the University of Pittsburgh and its baseball program awaits the two seniors.  However, they took two very different paths to their commitment. Corcoran committed to play for the Panthers during his sophomore year. Devereux, who initially committed to play at Wake Forest University, flipped his commitment to Pitt before his senior season.

Both Corcoran and Devereux appreciate the coaching staff at Pittsburgh and cite it as a major reason why they chose Pitt over other schools that were interested in them.

“They are texting us every week or two to see how we are doing,” Devereux said. “I think that is really important and it is also special because you know that they care about you and they want you on campus.”

Corcoran saw promise not just in the coaching staff, but in the Pitt baseball program in general.

“When I committed there, they weren’t that good. They had just joined the ACC and they didn’t have the best record,” Corcoran said. “But now, they are getting better recruits and are 8 games above 500 right now. They are doing well.”

Corcoran and Devereux appreciate all that Friars Head Coach Fred Hilliard has done for them over the years. He has had a big influence on their baseball careers and their lives outside the diamond.

“He wants to know everything, and he doesn’t just want to be coach,” Devereux said. “He is a part of your life.”

Corcoran drew similarities between the coaching staffs of Malvern and Pitt.

“I think Malvern coaches run their ship pretty close to college baseball,” Corcoran said. “I definitely see accountability in both staffs. Coach Hilliard expects the best out of you and that is what you should expect when you go to college.”

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“I think selflessness is probably the bigger thing that I take away that the coaches have really drilled in me. I think that is one of the most important parts of being a good person, being able to put other people in front of yourself.”

-Brady Devereux ’18

[/perfectpullquote]

Hilliard speaks very highly of these four year veterans, especially the way they go about they work at their craft.

“Both of them are fierce competitors and good guys who work hard on and off the field,” Hilliard said.

Hilliard also believes that Devereux and Corcoran have set the example for the program and for future Friar ballplayers.

“I think that the work ethic and the example they have set for the guys younger them is something that will carry over in years to come as they graduate because that has become the way to do things,” Hilliard said.