What to take away from the D23 Expo

Movies, shows, and games…oh my!
    Disney made many announcements on August 14-16 regarding upcoming movies and video games at their D23 Expo.

Been on Twitter in the past month? Then you probably know about the new Pixar movies.

These movies are just one small piece in a huge puzzle that was D23 this year.

D23 is the expo Disney hosts to promote their new projects. This year was their biggest yet.

The expo is a bi-annual event run by the official Disney Fan Club. The event was especially notable this time around because of Marvel’s decision to not present at San Diego Comic Con for the first time in many years.

Disney is a parent company to many assets. These include but are not limited to: Pixar, Marvel, ESPN, and Star Wars.

Marvel had two major events: a reveal of the first footage of Captain America Civil War, and the first look at concept art for Doctor Strange starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

Another Disney subsidiary, ABC, has loads of Disney Content on air. Perhaps one of the most anticipated shows this Fall The Muppets had a strong representation at D23. The Muppets’ rights were only recently bought by Disney.

The releasing of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer was a landmark in the past year. As of the time this article was written, it had nearly 62 million views on Youtube. This is why the release of many new images from the movie had a lot of buzz surrounding them in recent days.

Towards the end of the expo, Disney released a timeline image of all the movies of the companies owned by them up until summer 2017. 18 in all, Disney is throwing some fairly big names out there. Some notable ones not mentioned yet are Roald Dahl’s BFG, Pirates of the Caribbean V, and a live-action Beauty and the Beast.

The highlight of the show was probably the announcement of new Pixar movies. The movies were mostly sequels. Movies such as Toy Story 4, Finding Dory, and the long awaited Incredibles 2. Another highlight: the recent release of the trailer of a live action Jungle Book with an A-list cast including Scarlett Johansson, Bill Murray, Idris Elba, and Christopher Walken.

Last summer Disney announced plans to continue the Marvel Cinematic Universe until at least 2020. In total, they have announced 24 movies to come out in the next five years.