Intramural program faced with big challenges

This year’s intramural sports committee is facing many obstacles, but they believe they can overcome them with new ideas.

According to the committee, 70 to 80 people have signed up so far this year for intramurals, down from 120 last year. They believe that is mainly because of the new block schedule, an issue they faced last year as well.

“Intramurals has been affected by the new schedule the last 2 years,” said Mr. Ostick, faculty moderator of the committee and economics teacher. “Part of the reason is that our only option is to play after school, and with the new schedule getting out at 3:10 we only have a 20 minute window from 3:25 to 3:45 after school.”

To get some more playing time, Ostick said that the committee plans to start playing during community time in the near future. However, there are some obstacles to this happening.

“Kids are supposed to meet with teachers at community time,” Connor Ryan ‘17 said. “If we had games during community time it would be a conflict of scheduling.”

Along with the schedule, another problem was the lack of advertisement around the school last year. Last year, intramurals did not have announcements, but the committee is working to get announcements back this year. Also, Ostick said that they will put signs up across the school to advertise intramural sports.

Ryan said that the intramural sports that usually take place during the year are flag football in the fall, handball in the winter, and basketball in the spring. One sport that may be added this year is volleyball.

“I’m trying to push for volleyball,” senior Pat Finley, another on the committee, said. ¨Let’s see if we could make it happen in the spring.”

Another sport that could be added this year is Kan-Jam. Kan-Jam is a frisbee game where you have two cans, a set distance away from each other, and the object of the game is to score points by throwing and deflecting the flying disc and hitting or entering the goal. A team of 2 is opposite each other at each ¨kan.¨

¨Jimmy Faunce and Christian D’Ascenzo approached me in the summertime and asked me if we could do Kan-Jam,¨ Ostick said. ¨It would happen in the spring as a tournament.”