Teacher of the Issue: Mr. Stephen Borish

Though recently starting his teaching job at Malvern, Mr. Borish’s experience here has been life changing.

mr-borish

Mr. Borish grew up in Havertown, Pennsylvania and attended Malvern Prep for high school. He returned five years after graduating to begin his teaching career.

“It’s a good time to be a teacher I think,” Borish said. “And I think we’re going back to really questioning what school is for.”

Borish is excited for what’s to come from Malvern as he believes that Malvern is making changes for the better. He’s glad that Malvern’s ideals have shifted from memorizing information to asking questions and problem solving.

“I think we’ve moved in a great direction and we continue to,” Borish said. “And that really is the reason I came back to Malvern.”

Borish began teaching at Malvern last year but his life here started in 2006 when he attended Malvern for high school.

“I went to elementary school at St. Denis – now it doesn’t exist anymore,” Borish said. “They changed the name to Cardinal Foley I think. After that I went to Malvern.”

After graduating from Malvern in 2010, he attended Temple and graduated in 2014. Borish began working for Temple the following year.

“I worked in research at Temple,” Borish said, “and did volunteer work outside of Temple at different universities and then I came back and worked for Temple again.”

Borish said that it can be a very fulfilling job, but it wasn’t the right one for him.

“It’s a cool job, you get to do a lot, you get to meet a lot of really smart people,” Borish said. “but it can become very solitary. You just have to be a certain type of person.”

He still loves doing research on his own time but he enjoys being around others and embracing a community.

“It was a great experience and I loved working there,” Borish said, “but it just didn’t work out.”

Borish left his job at Temple to work at Malvern after he found out that he wouldn’t be able to take classes in law and still commit to research. He said he was offered a job by a faculty member earlier in the year, and when the position was still open, he took it.

“An awesome opportunity that happened at the right time,” Borish said. “And the culture had changed in such a good way that I felt – I need to be a part of this and give back to a community that has given me so much.”

[perfectpullquote align=”right” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“The culture had changed in such a good way that I felt – I need to be a part of this and give back to a community that has given me so much.”[/perfectpullquote]

Borish has had a copious amount of memories from when he was here when he was a student and even some from when he was a teacher last year. His most fond memory is that of Malvern’s exchange program for students.

“That was totally life changing — [the exchange program]has given me so much” Borish said, “not only in terms of me as a Spanish speaker but me as just an individual person in society trying to make the world a better place. It has changed my outlook on life entirely.”

He loved his time outside of the country and recommends it to all who are thinking about it.

“I thank all those experiences that have happened,” Borish said. “It’s all due to the exchange program we had here when I was a student.”

Borish has been enjoying his time here as a teacher and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

“It’s a very cool place to work,” Borish said. “Outside of Malvern, I’ve never experienced [a bond amongst coworkers] in the few places I’ve worked. It’s a joy for me to come into work and see all the people I work with every morning.”

Since Borish remained in the area he grew up in, he has continued to enjoy his favorite Philadelphia foods. He said that tomato pie is his favorite dish.

“I love tomato pie,” Borish said. “That by far is beautiful. Like, that is just the epitome of good pizza.”