“Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812” an interactive, memorable experience

Malvern gave me the amazing chance to experience one of the highest rated shows currently running on Broadway.

This March, Malvern’s spring Broadway trip went to see “Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812.” All students who signed up took a bus to New York for the day, went out to lunch, and got to see the show.

“The Great Comet” is a very interesting show for many reasons, but one that stands out is the role of the audience. Unlike a typical musical, the actors did not just stay on stage but walked around the entire theater.

At first, I had concerns that because we were in the mezzanine, actors would not interact with us. To my surprise, I was very wrong. Even though we had seats towards the back of the theater, dancers still danced around us. Depending on where you were in the theater, different things were happening.

This makes “The Great Comet” a show you would want to see more than once. Every different experience is unique, provided you sit in a different area.

The talent in this show was phenomenal. We had the chance to see famous singer Josh Groban play the main character of the show, Pierre. You could really tell that he had a history with music. Not only he, but every actor was clearly qualified for their part.

The dancing was also very good. As I mentioned earlier, some of the dancing was actually happening around us. This was extremely cool to watch. Everybody in the theater had a good view of the dancers and for good reason.

“The Great Comet” is an adaptation of Leo Tolstoy’s “War and Peace.” I thought the story was interesting and gripping. The only problem I had with the story was the pacing.

I might be alone on this, but I thought the pacing was off at some parts of the show. At some parts, especially the end, I thought the show was going too fast and at other parts I thought the show was too slow.

Otherwise, this musical was a great story.

The strongest asset of the show was its music. The music ranged from good to very good, with my personal favorite song being the opening number of the show.

In the end, I would easily recommend this show. It’s fun, fast, sometimes sad, and one of the better shows I have seen.