Youthful Friars Look to Surprise the Inter-Ac

The falling leaves, chilly temperatures, and changed clocks all mark the shift from fall to winter, but these signs also represent another beginning: basketball season. This year marks a big change in Friar Basketball. Former coach Jim Rullo accepted the head coaching position at Neumann University this summer, and a national search has brought John Harmatuk to the helm of the program.

The squad struggled last season, compiling a 9-20 record, and two of the Friars’ leading scorers, Andrew Bargmann and Jimmy Gordon have graduated. This season, Coach Harmatuk will be looking toward a strong cast of juniors and sophomores to lead the charge.

When asked about his expectations for the upcoming campaign, junior guard Chris Anderson said, “I have high expectations for this season, and I think Coach Harmatuk would agree. We have a good chance to be successful and win a lot of games. I can’t wait for the season to start.”

The roster seems a bit on the shorter side this year and may possibly lead to three or even four guard lineups. This may not be a negative.  Sophomore guard Will Powers said, “Coach Harmatuk’s view of the game focuses on attacking by making lay-ups, free throws, and three-pointers. This will mesh with our team very well because we have many shooters who will be able to knock down shots.”

“He also likes to play up tempo defense on the other side of the court,” added Powers.

The Malvern hoopsters will look to acclimate themselves with this new style of play instilled by Coach Harmatuk. In his first season as head coach, Harmatuk will try to continue some of his successes in the competitive Philadelphia area. The Inter-Ac consistently features talented players, and the programs are well coached. Haverford appears to be the favorite to win the title this season, who is returning several starters such as reigning Inter-Ac MVP Shawn Alston.

The Friars’ schedule is once again one of the most rigorous in the area. The season opener on December 4th is against perennial power Friends Central. Also in mid-December, Malvern takes on rival St. Joe’s Prep at home and travels to visit top ten nationally ranked St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark, NJ. The Inter-Ac schedule begins on January 4th against Penn Charter at the Inter-Ac Tip Off Classic.

Basketball is always an exciting season around Malvern, and the team loves to see the O’Neill Sports Center packed for Friday night Inter-Ac contests. Describing the team’s outlook, sophomore forward Brent Greeley said, “I think that we will develop as a young team and learn a lot. I know we will certainly fight hard and play as a team.”

The hard work begins on Friday, November 15th with the first day of tryouts. The sneakers will be laced, the balls will be pumped, and the Malvern community will certainly be ready to watch the Friars take the court.