Malvern Water Polo in Full Swing

Water Polo / Coffey

Malvern Prep’s water polo season is now in full swing.

They are coming off a shared Inter-Ac championship with Penn Charter last year, and senior captains Peter Calvaresi, Magnus Sims, and Patrick Coffey look to build off of their performances last season.

The team is currently 4-1 in the Inter-Ac, and have dominated out of conference games, including a 13-10 win over The Hill school and a 9-5 win against La Salle, with goalie Pat Coffey saving 34 shots over those two games and Peter Calvaresi with nine goals

There are currently two freshmen on the team who have been able to get ample playing time over the course of the season. Steven Salle and Isaac Salinas are still young, but have had big seasons this year.

“I think the biggest change we have had this year we have had this year has been the additions of two freshmen, Steve Salle and Isaac Salinas, to the starting lineup,” says senior goalkeeper Pat Coffey.  “These two guys have done a great job of stepping up and contributing. Other than that, we continue Malvern’s history of a good defense with an aggressive offense.”

“Our main goal is to win the Inter-Ac and Eastern’s.” says Coffey. “Last year we won our first Inter-Ac title ever, and we hope to do the same this year. We also plan to return to the championship game again at Easterns and come home with a victory.

The Friars are coming off a huge 9-8 victory over Penn Charter. Magnus Sims had four goals and five steals to lead the team in scoring, while Pat Coffey had 17 saves and four steals. This win ties Penn Charter for first in the Inter-Ac, both teams at 5-1 within the league.

The team also dominated over homecoming weekend with a 19-8 win over St. Benedict’s Prep which puts them up to 15-4 for the season thus far.

With the season beginning to wind down, the Eastern tournament is coming soon. The Friars were able to make the finals last year but were unable to bring home the championship. With the success that the team has had so far, the team is third in the Eastern Prep water polo rankings as of October 14.

Malvern’s water polo team has had great success over the course of this season, and will share the Inter-Ac championship with Penn Charter.