Friars Lax victorious over rival Fords

Andrew Wilbraham ’14 edit

LaxPic

In the rematch of last year’s heartbreaking loss at the Inter-Ac invitational, Malvern drew first blood in this season’s series with Haverford, keeping their perfect record alive. Their April 22 matchup was not an easy one. They had to work harder than ever before to make it happen, as the game remained a stalemate until Ryan Hilburn finally scored the game-winner with 55 seconds in the second sudden-death overtime.

Both teams had something to prove. While Malvern looked to forget their last meeting, Haverford looked to overcome the turmoil surrounding the school in the past week. Haverford was energized early, scoring the first two goals of the game. Goals by Kevin McGeary, Kyle Anderson, and Adam Goldner had Malvern up 3-2 at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter included only one Haverford goal, and the score at halftime was tied at3. Drew Schantz was injured during the second quarter and did not return for the rest of the game. Ryder Harkins, who was injured during the third quarter, did not return either. Hopefully, these injuries are not serious and both players can return quickly.

After an Adam Goldner goal, Haverford scored two unanswered goals to take a 5-4 lead. The lead did not last long because of a Tripp Traynor goal to tie it once again. Haverford gained another one goal lead, but Kyle Anderson responded with two unanswered goals to give Malvern a 1 goal lead. After a Haverford goal with less than 2 minutes remaining, the score was tied. That was the last goal in regulation, which sent the game to overtime. Despite several close calls and goalies on both sides making saves, there were no goals in the first overtime period. In the second overtime, Greg Pelton emerged from a scrum on the Haverford side with the ball and ran toward the goal. The defense converged on him to prevent him from shooting, leaving Ryan Hilburn open to take the game-winning shot.

This game was an excellent group effort. Carson Cocco was stellar in net, making ten saves, including two in overtime. In addition the the game-winning assist, Pelton had three caused turnovers. Ryan Antell and Pelton each had seven ground balls. Kyle Anderson contributed three goals and one assist. Ryan Hilburn had two assists along with the game-winning goal. Malvern still has a perfect record through the first round of Inter-Ac opponents, and shows no signs of slowing down in the second half.

Andrew Wilbraham edit. Feel free to share!