Baseball Impresses in Myrtle Beach

The baseball team went 5-0 in Myrtle Beach, SC with the help of their shutdown pitching.

Friars in the dugout in Myrtle Beach
Friars in the dugout in Myrtle Beach

With Spring Break scheduled so late in the school year and with Inter-Ac games to be played that week, the Friars could not make their annual trip to Florida. Therefore, Coach Hilliard had another trip planned earlier in the season. The baseball team went on a quick four day journey down to the Ripken Experience Complex in Myrtle Beach, SC for five games from March 27th to March 30th.

The squad left on that Thursday following 6th period. They trekked down I-95 on a 10 hour bus ride until arriving at the team villas late that night. Friday called for a doubleheader against the John Carroll School from Maryland and Williamsport High from the home of the Little League World Series. The Friars knocked off John Carroll in the opener 4-0 with Chris Butera earning the victory after tossing five innings of shutout baseball. John Carroll only mustered one hit the entire game.

Malvern knocked off Williamsport 4-1 in the second game in a pitchers duel. Brendan Inglis went six innings strong for the Friars while striking out six Williamsport batters. At the plate Malvern only got four hits, two of which came off the bat of Parker Abate.

On Saturday another doubleheader faced the Friars and rain loomed in the forecast the entire afternoon. Showers pushed back the first game against Upper St. Clair from Pittsburgh, but once the game got started Gardner Nutter did not disappoint on the mound for Malvern. Nutter threw five innings giving up no runs and only two hits while striking out eight batters. Mark Gentilotti went 1-3 at the plate with a run scored and swiped two bases in the process.

The nightcap had Malvern facing Mount Tabor from North Carolina. Finally the Friar bats came alive and dismantled Mount Tabor 13-1 in only five innings. Tim Quinn pitched three solid innings picking up the victory. Mike Styer went 1-3 batting and drove in three runs on a bases clearing triple. Also Matt Maul collected two hits, two runs, and a stolen base in the contest. The majority of the scoring occurred in the top of the 2nd inning when the Friars exploded for 10 runs chasing the opposition’s starting pitcher from the game.

The final game of the trip took place on a chilly Sunday morning against Cedar Creek from New Jersey. Again Malvern only got four hits, but they still came away with the 4-0 victory. Shane Metzger gave up zero runs and two hits in his six innings of work. The Friars finished the trip at 5-0 out scoring their opponents 29-3 over the five games. In fact only one of the three runs was an earned run, so the Malvern pitching staff finished the trip with a 0.27 team ERA.

The trip was a great way to start the season and get the Friars off to a fantastic start.