Sailing Team Races Its Way to Another Season

The Malvern Sailing Team begins preparation for its sophomore season, encouraging students to get involved with something new.

Malvern sailing on the water / Sweeney

If you haven’t quite found your niche at Malvern, there are always opportunities. One of the most criminally underrated activities at Malvern is sailing. The sport is an exhilarating experience, and I was able to sit down with the team captain of Malvern’s sailing team to hear all about it.

Kieran Cullen, a freshman at Malvern, has been sailing since he was a little kid. Upon entering Malvern, Cullen wished to share his love for the sport with his classmates, so he and his dad started the sailing team. Consequently, Cullen has earned the spot as the team captain.

Cullen explained what a typical day out on the river consists of. “After getting to the river, we dress in warm clothing; usually boots and a life jacket. We later check the courses on the board and rig the boat,” said Cullen.

A sailing race has a unique way of being scored. Sports like ice hockey and soccer declare the winner by seeing which team has gained the most points; however, sailing is the opposite. For example, the winner of a sailing race is awarded least amount of points. If a team wins five races, it is awarded five points. If a team comes in second, it receives ten points, and so on.

“We finished the season last year with five straight wins,” said Tommy Pero ‘17 triumphantly.  In addition to a successful finish to the season, the sailing team ended in third place, competing against schools like Conestoga and Notre Dame. For the first year of a new sport, this is no small feat.  The team ought to be very proud of its accomplishment.

Catie Cullen, a sophomore at Notre Dame and Kieran’s sister, said, “There’s something really cool about spending time out on the water. Sailing’s such an interesting sport, and it’s something you can do for fun, competition, and for your whole life.”  She encourages all students to take a shot at sailing, noting that they won’t regret it.

Sailing has two seasons throughout the year: fall and spring.  The sport is something that everyone can try, and even if you’re just looking for some extracurriculars, give it a shot. Cullen and the other members of the team would be thrilled to see others showing interest.

Sailing has two seasons throughout the year: fall and spring. One of the best things about the Malvern experience is that each student has many opportunities to try new things, and sailing is just one of many.  To get involved with sailing, you can email Kieran Cullen ‘17 at [email protected]. As the captain, Kieran will get you set up and show you what it takes to be a sailor.