Friarside chats: PC

Malvern came into this match up tied for first place with GA in the inter-ac.  Penn Charter was the only team left in the inter-ac that Malvern had yet to beat this season and the friars were out for revenge as they snapped the Friars undefeated season the first time they played.  The game started out slow as neither team was able to convert until two minutes in when senior wing guard Brendan Kilpatrickdrove the lane to get the bucket and the foul. Then it took another two minutes to see the next score, this time by Steve Perpiglia.  However from here both teams kicked it into gear, Kilpatrick finished off the first quarter with 11 more points for a total of 14 including 3 treys taking the score at the end of the first to 17-7 Malvern.

The second quarter saw Penn Charter inch there way back into the game with a three from Mike McGlinchy.  Penn Charter held the Friars to only seven points in the frame with two jumpers from Perpiglia and some foul shots.  This brought the Quakers to within 5 at the half down 24-19.

The third quarter saw the Friars showing some great teamwork.  Midway thought the frame Perpiglia made a great inbound pass to Dennis Gabert for the layup taking the score to 30-24. The next possession for the Friars saw Kilpatrick make a great pass through traffic to fellow senior Tom Pitt IV for the layup.  Despite Malvern getting into their groove PC hung with the Friars thought the third as the frame ended 37-31 Friars.

Pitt got the scoring started in the fourth with a thunderous dunk.  Juniors Ryan Ammerman and Alex Dentinger added to the scoring in the fourth for the Friars.  The ending to this game was the oddest I have ever seen in all of the basketball games I have ever seen.  Normally it’s the team that has the lead at the end of the game that holds the ball, but for whatever reason PC’s coach instructed his players to hold the ball, which even his own players seemed to be confused about.  The game ended 52- 37 taking the Friars to 7-2 in the inter-ac and 22-2 overall.  Soon after the game it was learned that GA suffered a loss to SCH guaranteeing the Friars a share of the Inter-ac title.  The Friars hit the hardwood Saturday at 7:30 vs. GA to go for the outright win of the inter-ac title.

Now while the season isn’t over yet with our final inter-ac game and the Pa independent schools tournament still left, I want to take this time to thank a few people:

Players & Coaches: Thanks for providing some of the most thrilling wins I have every seen (Had I not just watched Austin Rivers beat UNC I would say the best, but your win vs. LaSalle might rival this game).  You guys played your hearts out every game and it showed. Go get that Championship.

Those in the stands with me (you know who you are): Thanks for joining me in the stands.  Always remember that when they the other teams student section starts chants at you that you are making your presence felt.