Lacrosse starts 0-3 after undefeated season

20150323_170418After accomplishing an incredible feat last year with an impressive 24-0 record and an Inter-Ac Title, the team has had a setback to begin this year. With some major injuries, key departures and a young team, the team’s early 0-3 record is not bringing coaches or players down.

Going into this year, the bar was set high for the Friars as they were ranked number one throughout the preseason. But it is extremely difficult to repeat a championship in any sport, let alone go undefeated for two years. After the 24-0 perfect season, the team had to deal with some major setbacks going into this year.

“We lost nine guys, all of which were really, really important to us,” head coach Mr. John McEvoy said. “We lost three really solid defenders. Although we didn’t really lose in numbers, we lost in terms of importance to the team.”

The loss of important players from the class of 2014 had a major impact to the team. “With that, we are young, and even guys who are older are still a little bit inexperienced,” said McEvoy.

The season began on March 12, where the Friars lost a heartbreaker in overtime to Calvert Hall 10-11. Then, they lost their second straight game at St. Mary’s Annapolis on the March 17 in another thriller which left them in a 14-11 loss. Their third straight loss came on the March 21 to Gilman.

Sophomore lacrosse player Sean Christman ‘17 commented on these early losses. “Our three losses were to three very talented MIAA teams. I have no doubt we will turn things around and have a successful season.”

“Truth of the matter, we all feel that we should have won those games,” said McEvoy. “It’s not so much that we got beat, it was almost more like we lost it. That’s disappointing, but you should learn a lot when that [losing close games] happens. These are all good learning experiences, and we are just trying to get better every single day and get guys more and more acclimated ”

Although they have suffered from key injuries to major players, and a tough, ambitious schedule with these early losses, coach McEvoy has great expectations for the end of the year.

“I would anticipate us to be a whole lot better in a little while,” said McEvoy. “I am sure by the end of the year, we would have figured out who we are.”

McEvoy explained what needs to improve for a successful season. “We need to be able to not turn the ball over. That’s the immediate area that needs attention. Our young defense and young offense takes time, and I am sure we will get better in time.”

On the upside, the future looks bright for the young team as many freshman and sophomores are on Varsity and get playing time. “Everything that happens this year will have benefits for way down the road, so I anticipate the future to being really really bright. It’s exciting,” said McEvoy.

With high hopes to the future and an anticipated strong rest of the year with due time, the Friars have the ability to be powerhouses in the Inter-Ac and nationally for years to come. Come support the Friars in some of the upcoming home matches, including 3/27 against La Salle, 3/30 against Salesianum, and 4/1 against Loyola Academy.