Intramural rugby kicks off

Intramural rugby kicks off

As the new school year begins, so does intramural sports, one of the most popular clubs. This winter, the program is introducing rugby as the newest intramural sport. With the sport’s rise in popularity in America and at Malvern, the inaugural Intramural Rugby season should turn out to be a major success.

The introduction of rugby as an intramural sport could not have been more timely, as last year it was officially made a varsity sport. Interest in the sport is at an all-time high, mainly because of the initiation of Rugby as an Olympic sport in the 2014 games.

Even with this wave of enthusiasm, many Americans still don’t know much about Rugby. It is a sport that demands versatile athletes. Players need to be able to pass, run, kick, and tackle. Everyone plays both offense and defense, and any player can score at any given time. It is a pure team sport, and Malvern’s students will quickly fall in love with the sport.

“The coaches are thrilled at the start of an intramural rugby program” said head coach John Foley. “The rugby team has had great success since its inception four years ago, and we’re hoping that the intramural rugby program can help get even more Malvern students interested in playing this spring.”

“It sounds really fun, and I’m very interested. I’ve seen some videos of rugby, and I’ve always want to try it out,” said senior Brian Beck when asked how he felt about the introduction of intramural rugby.

The Intramural Committee felt that rugby was the sport that would attract the most interest, and as of now it seems that they were right. Students will be able to signup and play this upcoming winter after the fall sport, flag football, has ended.

If you are interested in signing up for any of Malvern’s Intramural sports speak to a member of the Intramural Committee or contact Mr. Ostick at [email protected].