Athlete of the Issue: Rowan Watson ’19

Rowan Watson ’19 has been helping Friar football win and is prepared for the start of the Inter-Ac.

quincy

Rowan, better known as Quincy by his teachers and friends at school, loves football and has played the sport since he was six years old.

“My favorite part about football is that it is a team sport, it is fun, and it is physical,” Quincy said.

Led by Head Coach Aaron Brady and senior captains Gerald Curran, Zach Fernandez, Jake Glavin, and Justin Titchenell, the Friars are 4-3. With their most recent win coming over Haverford.

“We have played really good teams this year, and we have competed. These past couples games have prepared us for the Inter-Ac,” Watson said. “I think we are ready.”

Brady pushes Watson to be the best football player he can be.

“He does not always pump me up,” Watson said. “Sometimes, he puts me down because he knows that I can do better.”

Watson plays a few different positions for the Friars. On offense, he plays slot receiver and a little bit of running back. For defense, he plays free safety.

But Watson considers himself an offensive player. “My favorite position is slot receiver,” he said.

To get ready for the games, Quincy likes to listen to rap music by A Boogie and Lil Uzi Vert.

So far this football season, Quincy’s favorite memory was travelling to Virginia to see the different colleges. He aspires to further his football career in college.

The Watson Family is full of athletes. In the late 1980s, Watson’s Dad played middle linebacker for the University of Delaware. Watson’s little brother Russell plays quarterback for the Norristown Eagles.

The Philadelphia Eagles Rookie Quarterback, Carson Wentz, is Watson’s favorite NFL player because, “he came from so little, worked his tail off, and now he is doing big things,” he said.

Watson’s number one fans are his parents. “They support me in every way by coming to my games and helping me on and off the field,” Watson said.