Student of the Issue: Nick Gabriele

A Malvern Renaissance Man

Nick Gabriele is a junior who is an Adelphia Society mentor, MECO leader, and varsity soccer player who truly exemplifies the Malvern spirit. We discussed where he has come from, his experiences at Malvern, and what he hopes for the future.

MM: Tell me about your background. Where did you grow up? Where did you go to school before Malvern?

NG: I went to St. Norbert’s from kindergarten through eighth grade, and I grew up in Paoli before moving to Phoenixville when I was about ten years old.

MM: You are obviously involved in a variety of activities here at Malvern. MECO leader, varsity soccer, and Adelphia Society just to name a few. How do you manage to balance your activities and academics so well?

NG: Well I’ve always been a person who tries to get all my school work done as soon as I can. I do work at lunch and ninth period, just studying whenever I can. I try to give 100% focus to whatever I’m doing at that time. When I’m at home I focus on my work, and when I’m on the pitch I just focus on soccer.

MM: You have been on the varsity soccer team since freshman year. When did you first start playing soccer and why do you love playing it?

NG: I first started playing club soccer for TEYSA, Tredyffrin Easttown Youth Soccer Association, when I was about seven or eight, and I’ve played for them ever since. When I got older, I started playing on FC Europa, which the premier soccer team within TEYSA. Actually, when I was about ten or eleven, I had to decide between hockey and soccer and I decided soccer was what I loved more. In soccer terms, I’m not the most “technical” player. For example, I don’t have the greatest foot skills but I just enjoy being a defender and winning tackles, the 50/50 balls, and putting my body on the line for the team.

MM: What would you say has been the highlight of your high school years so far? What are you most looking forward to next year?

NG: The highlight for me thus far has definitely been MECO. I was just the ultimate experience. I wouldn’t say it was “life changing”, but it definitely was eye opening. It just made me realize how much I love this place. SAVI was a real highlight as well. A couple months ago I went to San Diego, California to Saint Augustine’s Prep where I spent a weekend with students from all the other Augustinian schools in North America. It was great to meet all those really great people and share some of our Augustinian traditions with each other and discuss the core values we share. I am most looking forward to just being as involved as possible in Malvern. I want to make the most out of my experience here. Thats why I decided to do the play this year, I want to take it all in. However, in particular I am looking forward to leading the next three MECOs. I really can’t wait to share that awesome experience with our classmates.

MM: A few weeks ago, four large posters which detail the plan for the future of our campus were put on display. What are your thoughts on the building proposals as well as the move to a 21st century institution?

NG: I think innovation is always a good thing. I mean, we are a college prep school. The more tools and exposure that Malvern students have can only help us. However, I do tend to respond better to more “traditional” methods of learning. I’m more of a traditional note taker, listener to lectures, and problem solver at home. I’m not really into collaboration or group work, and that is something that I know I have to get better at. It’s hard to always be a team player. However I think the new buildings can only help us as students. I like Malvern’s vision in which Malvern seems to be a pioneer in this type of thing. Once we set the example, I think a lot of other schools will follow.

MM: If you had to describe your Malvern experience in one word, what would it be and why?

NG: The word would be shaping. This is because Malvern has instilled the Augustinian virtues in me and these virtues have made me who I am today and will help me become the person I want to become in the future.