Malvern Introduces Mr. Paul Romanczuk as New Head Basketball Coach

Romanczuk speaks on his experiences playing high school, college, and professional basketball, coaching at Archbishop Carroll High School, and what excites him most about his new position at Malvern.

Before transferring to Archbishop Carroll for his junior year, Romanczuk was a student at Malvern. This coaching opportunity serves as a homecoming for the Malvern Brother who hopes to lead the Friars for many years to come.

“I cherished my time at Malvern and the great friends and teachers I met,” Romanczuk said. “To this day, I still keep in touch with several friends from my Malvern days. The best man at my wedding and one of the other two groomsmen were both guys I met freshman year at Malvern. I have experienced firsthand the Malvern Prep “Brotherhood”, specifically what a special group of guys that the class of 1995 is.”

A native of West Chester, PA, Romanczuk’s father sparked his interest in the game of basketball at a very young age.

“I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs with stops in Drexel Hill, Bensalem, and Upper Darby until my family moved out to West Chester when I was heading into 7th grade. I had a basketball in my hand from as far back as I can remember,” Romanczuk said. “My father was a basketball player at North Catholic [High School] and Drexel [University], and was my first and biggest influence introducing me to the game of basketball.”

Romanczuk’s career on the court is both extensive and impressive. After graduating from Archbishop Carroll, he went on to play for the University of Pennsylvania. A four-year starter and senior captain for the Quakers, he was named First Team All-Ivy two of his four years and given the opportunity to play professionally in Spain after his senior campaign.

Even after his playing career came to an end, Romanczuk’s passion for the game inspired him to pursue a career in coaching. He returned to Archbishop Carroll in the early 2000s and built a dominant program.

“I previously coached at Archbishop Carroll, one season as the JV head coach and Varsity assistant 2001-02, then from 2002-2018, I was the head Varsity coach.  We had a very successful run at Carroll, winning the state championship in 2009 and finishing as runner-up in 2013 and 2015. We won twenty or more games in those last ten seasons and I had around forty players go on to play in college and beyond.”

In 2018, Romanczuk decided to step away from coaching and focus on his family. Three years later, he looks forward to returning to the sidelines.

“When the position opened up, it was a chance to be on a familiar campus close to my house and get back to what I love doing – coaching basketball and mentoring young, high school-aged boys at a pivotal time of their lives,” Romanczuk said. “Malvern is a tremendous school with a great reputation academically and athletically. I enjoy coaching young athletes who strive to be their best in the classroom as well as on the court and Malvern stresses that as well.”

Malvern’s reputation of having multi-sport student-athletes intrigues Romanczuk. He believes that these different experiences are extremely beneficial.

“What intrigues me and is a little different from my time at Carroll is the strong endorsement of the multi-sport athlete here at Malvern,” Romanczuk said. “I embrace student-athletes playing multiple sports for a number of reasons but, most importantly, to learn from different coaches, learn how to deal with different roles on teams, and avoid overuse injuries.”

Like many talented coaches, Romanczuk’s style of basketball is heavily influenced by the team’s skillset. He articulates that the main goal is to find a game plan that gives them the best chance to compete in the Inter-Ac and against the best teams in the area. 

“The style of basketball I endorse is whatever is best for our players,” Romanczuk said. “I tend to favor aggressive man-to-man defense and believe you can create good offense from solid defensive principles. Offensively, I have played a number of different styles in my years coaching and will cater our offense to fit the personnel we have.”

Romanczuk would like to thank the Malvern community for the warm welcome and leadership they have shown since he decided to return.

“I was excited by the overwhelming response I got from getting the job at Malvern. I have been so welcomed by all – administration, alumni, parents, and players,” Romanczuk said. “There is such a great buzz about Malvern Prep in the community and that is thanks to the tremendous leadership. I hope that I can provide that same leadership to ensure these young basketball players enjoy their time on the court with their teammates and are pushed to be the best versions of themselves.”