Exchange Program Prepares for the Future

A new French exchange highlights future possibilities for an established exchange program

Two students from France came to the United States over Spring Break and will be staying with host families while attending Malvern for three weeks. This is the first time Malvern has had students from France.

This new exchange may come to many as a surprise because this is the last year of the French program at Malvern. The exchange came about through a request from a Malvern teacher who knows the French family. “The French family visited campus last year,” explains Ms. Aleida Rosle, head of the Exchange Program at Malvern.

Familiar with the campus and friends from home, the two students, Theo Grimm and Pierre Chapotin, are good friends. In just one week here in the States, the two students already have some favorites. When asked their favorite food here, they answered with “hamburger pizza” and “cordon bleu.” It seems the United States has rubbed off on at least one of them.

Just as other exchange students, the French students will travel to New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. for some shopping and fun. In the meantime, they are just going with the flow and experiencing life in the U.S.

“I feel that any type of diversity, in this case students from abroad, benefits our school in many ways,” says Ms. Rosle, emphasizing the importance of being exposed to other cultures. Following this direction, she hopes the French exchange will continue.

“It could be a reciprocal exchange, even if our French program is discontinued in the future.” Many of the exchanges are reciprocated. This summer Malvern students and families are planning to visit their Spanish exchange students and families that were here this winter. The “Spanish students were very positive about their stay here,” explains Ms. Rosle, something that Malvern host families do extremely well because of the time and energy they dedicate to the students.

The French exchange would be a benefit to all, especially in the world of the 21st century and making connections. “It teaches us about our commonalities and differences.”

The future of Malvern’s Exchange Program looks bright, hopeful to add more international experiences that would include internships, cultural trips, and continued exchanges with added locations.

More opportunities would provide more students with an opportunity to have such an experience.

One highlight that would be available in the future is an academic exchange to Spain, starting in 8th grade September of 2014 and expanding to the high school. The curriculum of the Spanish American school “is based on the American curriculum, so courses can be matched and grades transferred.”

After many years in the program, 33 exchanges, 120 students, and four countries, Ms. Rosle will retire after this summer and we wish her the best and thank her for what she has done for the program. “I encourage Malvern students to get out of their comfort zone and try this program. This is a life changing experience.”