A New Day for Thankfulness

The Middle School has introduced another opportunity for students to participate in Christian Service.
robert colameco

The Middle School has now created a “Day of Gratitude” to help middle school students understand the importance of being thankful for what they have. This day took place on November 14th. Some activities included a community-wide prayer service in the quad and students working with their parents/guardians to assemble blankets for the Comfy Covers program. 

One parent, Danelle Matlack, parent of Liam Matlack’ 28, shared her thoughts on what this day taught the students at Malvern Prep, saying, “In our busy day to day lives, we sometimes forget to stop and be grateful for our blessings. At night, we can hop into bed and pull up our covers to stay warm, [but] for many that is not the case.” Mrs. Matlack then added, “There are so many people without the comforts that we take for granted.” 

This day had an effect on both students and parents who participated in this activity. One of these students was Coby Booker, Class of ‘28. When asked about how the Day of Gratitude affected him, Coby replied, “The day of gratitude affected me in a positive way by affecting my mood and [making me] feel good about helping other people.” “Doing such a simple activity was calming and something I could easily do in the future” he added. 

All who were part of this day know/realize the importance of bringing these activities to Malvern Prep. Mrs. Matlack stated, “This service project helped students bring to life the Malvern Augustinian values.”

All who were part of this day had many opinions on how the day had gone. “Speaking as a Malvern mom, I enjoyed coming to our beautiful campus and working together with my son, his classmates, and their parents to create warm blankets to be donated to those less fortunate in Philadelphia. It was a chance to interact with our school community in unity for a great cause. I am looking forward to other Christian service projects in the future.” Mrs. Matlack said. 

Overall, this day was a success teaching us students the importance of gratitude and many agreed that the Comfy Covers event was a calming one.