Student Council Vice President Candidates – 2013

The following two candidates are running for Student Council Executive Board Vice President.

Kevin McKnight

Mike McCarthy ’15
I am running for Vice President because I feel after my three years of being on student council I will be an even more important role to the school than I already am. I hope to accomplish helping the other students voice their concerns of the school and help their ideas reach student council in order to take into serious consideration.

Q: What are the three most important things you would like to accomplish as a member of Malvern Student Council?
A: The three most important things I would like to accomplish as a member of Malvern Student Council are to serve as a representative for the whole student body, to make sure every student has their voice heard, and to make student council forums and more public and advertised event so the student body’s ideas can be put to use.
Q: What are some of your strengths and interests?
A: Some of my interests are any outdoor activities such as fishing and hiking, hanging with friends, and playing sports.
Q: What are some of the challenges you see facing Malvern?
A: Some challenges I see facing Malvern is getting your voice heard. Sometimes I feel kids come up with great ideas for the school but they just go unheard.
Q: Why are you interested in running for executive board?  What does it mean to be a student leader at Malvern?A: I am running for executive board because after serving three years I want to take on more responsibility as a leader of the school.  To be a student leader at Malvern is extremely important to me. I love serving others and representing the student body.

Q: How do you feel about technology playing a larger role in education at Malvern (ex: iPads with online textbooks)?

A: I like the idea of technology playing a larger role in education at Malvern. iPads with online textbooks are a great idea but I believe if Malvern makes the decision to use them, the student body should have a choice whether they would like to use an iPad or stick with the normal text books.

Q: What are some ideas that you have about how to improve Malvern (socially, athletically, academically, etc)?
A: Some ideas I have to improve Malvern are to advance the extra help available to students. Not only have National Honors Society homeroom for help in the morning but also have a group of students stay for ninth period a couple times a week. Another improvement I would try and make would be to publicize sporting events and other events taking place at Malvern to not only the Malvern Community but also the surrounding communities to gain interest from future brothers and families.

Q: Do you think that your previous three years on Student Council will give you an advantage? If yes then how so?

A: I do not believe I have an advantage due to my previous years on Student Council but I do believe I am as qualified as it can get. I have the experience on how things run in Student Council and also have experience with future ideas and suggestions that may not have been able to take place in future years.

John Nassib

Brendan Hallinan ’14

A: I want to make more intramural games for more sports. I would like to make more open Mic Nights, and I would like to make more opportunities for the men’s chorus and liturgical music to show off their skills.

A: I am a vocal leader, and I am not just an athlete. I am sometimes funny, but not by making fun of other kids. I am interested in sports and most arts.

A: The biggest challenge I see is the student body becoming more and more segregated.

Q: Why are you interested in running for executive board?  What does it mean to be a student leader at Malvern?
A: I want people to know that I am more than just an athlete. It would mean a lot to me to be a leader at Malvern because I believe I could bring a lot to the table.

Q: You mentioned that one of your goals is to increase competition between students academically and through intramurals.  Do you have any specific programs in mind to increase academic competition?
A: My main goal is to make the intramurals and academic competitions have more incentives to make more students want to be involved.

Q: How can you improve Malvern Intramurals, and would you be willing to work with its committee to think of new ideas?
A: Again, I want to make winning more valuable to the students, so more students would want to participate. I am very willing to work with the Intramural Committee because I am always open to new ideas.

Q: Why should the upper school vote for you?
A: Students should vote for me because they can always reach out to me, and I will always voice their opinion, because everyone that knows me knows I am not afraid to speak up.