Student Council President Candidates – 2013

The following three candidates are running for Student Council Executive Board President.

Britt Kirchner

Brendan Hallinan (‘14)

Q: What are the three most important things you would like to accomplish as a member of Malvern Student Council?
A: I plan to increase student attendance at school events, be a voice for the students to the administration, and help unify the student body.

Q: What are some of your strengths and interests?
I am hard-working, goal oriented, and approachable.

Q: What are some of the challenges you see facing Malvern?
There is a lack of school spirit. Attendance at school events needs to increase.

Q: Why are you interested in running for executive board?  What does it mean to be a student leader at Malvern?
A: I am interested in running because I feel that I am capable of bringing Malvern the change that it needs.

Q: How do you plan on increasing school spirit?
A: I plan to give the students an opportunity to choose themes for student events, therefore gaining their support and attendance.

Q: How can some of your strengths make up for the fact that you are a rookie on the Malvern Executive Committee?
A: My strengths will allow me to work hard for the students and help them get their voices and opinions heard.

Q: Why should the upper school vote for you?
A: The students should vote for me because I plan to commit myself to them. I will work persistently to help improve Malvern in the places where it needs work.

John Monday

Dan McGlinn (‘14)

A: To bring the school together in a more tight-knit brotherhood by improving student involvement in sports spectating; also by improving spirit week activities to bring about more enthusiastic student involvement. Finally, I hope to create a better rapport and communication between the student body and student council to bring about new ideas that the student council can try and enact.

A: I am a loyal person. I will always follow through on a promise, no matter what the circumstances.  Personally, I am interested in bringing together the Malvern brotherhood into an even stronger bond.

Some of the challenges I see facing Malvern come from the fact that there is a disconnect between some of the students here. There is not as strong a bond between all members of the Malvern community. I’d like to bring the school together even closer.

I am interested in running for executive board because I like helping out Malvern by being one of its leaders. I feel my talents can best serve the school when I am in a leadership position because I am loyal and know how to get things done. It means a lot to be a student leader at Malvern because it feels fulfilling to be looked up to as a leader.

Q: What are some ideas that you think the student body will be genuinely excited about, including anything in your speech?
A: One idea I feel students will be excited about is that there should be a greater effort on the part of student council to get people involved in Friar Nation through the consolidation of its leadership.

Q: How has previous student council experience helped to shape you as a leader and helped to shape some of your proposed ideas?
I sort of know the ins and outs of student council, due to the fact that I have been a part of student council through all my years here at the school. I know the proper channels to get something pushed through and I feel my experience would come through in an executive board position.

Q: What are you most excited about if you were to take office and how could you utilize your new position as a leader to make your voice heard?
A: I am most excited about having a better avenue of communication between student council and the student body. I feel as if I’m an easy guy to talk to, and the idea of the entire student body being able to give me their ideas on how to make the school better would be a great opportunity and I’d would use my new position to put those ideas in motion. I could utilize my position by being in the “belly of the beast” if you will, because being a part of student council gives the opportunity to get my voice heard by the higher-ups of the school.

Q: Where have the ideas for most of your ideas come from, such as students, faculty, or parents, and how have you taken those ideas and molded them to help shape the Malvern community?
A: Most of my ideas come from the student vibes I feel here at Malvern. I feel everyone wants to be apart of something greater here at the school, to belong to something greater than themselves, and that is where most of my ideas have come from. I have taken those ideas and proposed to bring the school together in Friar Nation, in Spirit Week, and through other various activities that will hopefully come to fruition in my leadership opportunity.

Mike Vermeil

Billy Bevevino ’14

Q: What are the three most important things that you want to accomplish as a member of Malvern’s student council?
A: I would like to unify Malvern even more than it already is. I would like to bring back town hall meetings, and continue with Adams’ monthly food extravaganza.

Q: What do you mean by unifying Malvern? Can you be more specific?
A: Malvern is extremely unified as it is, meaning we are all in this together. (High School Musical.) I believe I can strengthen it even more so that every student has a sense of respect for the school and each other.

A: I am a pretty humble person. I can lead in almost every scenario I am put in and able to adjust, listen, and resolve.

A: The Malvern student body in reality does not face much challenge, if any. Every student has what they need and more.

Q: Why are you running for executive board at Malvern? What do you think it means to be a student leader at Malvern?
A: It means being able to guide the way for my brothers, it means being able to speak on their behalf and to be able to truly make a difference for them.

A: What have you learned from past and present presidents that would help you be a great president and leader? I know you brought up Adams’ ideas earlier.
A:  I have learned that with patience, action, and support, one can accomplish anything.

Q: President Obama has partied with Jay-Z. Who would you like to party with if you were voted president?
A: MV: Zlatan- because of his nose.
Michelle Obama- Her fashion taste is pretty nice.