Malvern Hockey thrives under new coach

Dave Dorman is the newest coach at Malvern Prep and he has lead the team to a successful start. He has coached in the Jr. A Hockey League as well as the AAA League and has been invited to the National Hockey Tournament several times.

“He is putting us into better condition than we have ever been in. He is pushing us to new levels, and shows us what we can really be capable of,” said freshman Jake Swayze.

“I look for players that truly commit themselves, not only to the game, but also to the team. Hockey is just like most other sports in the sense that we strive for perfection everyday, it is more than a one man show,” said Dorman. Coach Dorman has successfully helped many NCAA and professional players throughout his career. Coach Dorman’s philosophy is the belief that developing character through sports is the greatest opportunity an athlete can have.

Coach Dorman grew up playing hockey in the Philadelphia area. He attended the Berkshire School in Sheffield, Massachusetts, where he played three varsity sports – hockey, baseball and soccer. After Berkshire, Dorman went to post-graduate school in Wyoming and was named MVP and Captain of his team. Coach Dorman finishing his playing career at Division III Neumann College of the ECAC West.

Dorman began his coaching career leading the Tier II West Chester Quakers to an Atlantic District Championship. In his second season with the Quakers, he led his team to another Atlantic District Championship and a Bronze Medal at the USA Hockey National Tournament. The following season, Coach Dorman took over the Jr. Flyer Program. In his first season, he led the team to a 31-11 record and a 3rd place finish in the MJHL. In his second year, he coached the team to a 33-5-0-5 record, which led to Dorman’s second appearance at a USA Hockey National Tournament in just four years.

The Flyers Cup is the Inter-Ac championship, which Malvern is hoping to win for the first time in over 6 years. “Dave Dorman has raised the bar this year to win the Flyer’s Cup,” said senior Brian Rawlins.

“As a team I expect to end up winning not only the Flyer’s Cup, but also States with the powerful underclassmen we have,” said Coach Dorman.

Coach Dorman hopes to lead the team to greatness in future seasons and to revitalize Malvern Prep’s hockey program.