Spring Musical 2015: Grease

Mr. Liga guiding Grease choral rehearsal / Tommy Pero

Malvern Prep’s spring musical for 2015 is Grease, a high energy musical that features classic songs like “Summer Nights,” “Greased Lightnin’” and many more.

The story starts when Danny Zuko and Sandy Dumbrowski go back to school after sharing a summer romance. However, Sandy soon realizes that Danny is not the same person she fell in love with in the summer.

Danny will be played by Phil Daubney ‘15, while Sandy wille by played by the Academy of Notre Dame de Namur’s Christina Dietzler ’16.

While the movie Grease (1978) popularized the story line, the musical was performed first, starting in 1972. It was created by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, and features music inspired by 1950’s rock ‘n roll.

When asked about why Grease was chosen as this years’ musical, Dr. Jim Fry, the director of the show, said, “We wanted to pick a show that was a little bit lighter, than the fall show [The Laramie Project]. We wanted to look at something that was very upbeat, something that everybody knows. I thought that we had the right group of students that could pull the show off.”

According to Fry, approximately 15 Malvern students joined Malvern Theatre Society (MTS) for the first time to perform in Grease.

One of these new students, Tait McGlinn ‘16, said he decided to join MTS because some of his friends and his older brother had previously performed in MTS shows. “It felt very inviting, so I decided to do it this year,” said McGlinn.

Grease has many Malvern students excited. Sean Ward ‘17 said, “Grease is going to be the best show that MTS has put on in the past decade.”

Fry also said viewers should expect to see a lot of high, positive energy and music that they would recognize. He said there would be, “bottom line, a lot of fun.”

Fry also mentioned that there was another surprise in the show that audiences would enjoy, however he did not want to leak this yet.

The show will have four performances on March 6, 7, 13, and 14. Each show will start at 8 PM in the Duffy Arts Center, according to the Malvern website. Tickets will go onsale in February.