Mr. Will Haus – Permanent Substitute

Haus
Mr. Haus / T. Pero

Mr. Will Haus has joined Malvern as a full time substitute teacher as well as a lacrosse and freshmen football coach.

Haus is originally from Palmyra, a town close to Hershey in central Pennsylvania. There, he attended Palmyra High School. He graduated from Duke University this spring.

Haus decided to come to Malvern so he could get his career started in education and coaching. “The opportunity arose, and the people seem great. It felt look a good fit for me,” he said.

Haus already feels welcomed into the Malvern community. “Everyone just seems like a really good person – whether it’s teachers, faculty, or even the students,” he said. “It makes being new here that much easier.”

Haus enjoys playing and watching sports and has played lacrosse all his life, most recently at Duke. There, he played defensive midfield and was an All-American and team captain in 2015, according to Duke’s athletic website. He also helped Duke win two NCAA National Championships in 2013 and 2014.

Although he is from Pennsylvania, he roots for the Carolina Panthers.

After less than two weeks of classes, Haus already knows the basics of 21st Century education.“[21st Century Education] is really getting the students involved, having them working in groups, collaborating with each other, and trying to get the most out of everyone,” he said. “It’s not so much, ‘Here’s a text book. Read it.’ It’s ‘Here’s something. Figure it out.’”

Students are already calling Mr. Haus, “New JoePa,” as he replaces the recently retired Joe Redican, who performed this job before.

However, he says it doesn’t bother him right now. He added with a smile, “Hopefully in the future, I’ll get my own name.”