Sixers: “Trust the Process”- a fantasy or reality?

Trust the process.
That’s what the Sixers fans have been told over and over again for the past 3 painful years of their rebuilding stage.

Sam Hinkie’s motto “trust the process” has been echoing in our heads ever since he became general manager of the 76ers a few years ago. Year after year, he tells us this, but will his process ever be completed?

Although it may be difficult to tell, the 76ers have been making painfully slow progress.

One of the bright spots Hinkie has brought to the team is a group of talented, inexperienced young stars; players ready to show they got game. These stars include Jahlil Okafor and Joel Embiid, two big men which we acquired through high draft picks in the 2015 and 2014 NBA Drafts respectively.

Also, early during this rebuilding era, we bid farewell to Jrue Holiday, our All-Star point guard in return for a high draft pick, which ultimately was used to acquire another big man in Nerlens Noel.

Currently with three top tier athletes protecting the paint, the 76ers should see some improvement in their Win-Loss record. “I do not think the 76ers will be as bad this year as they have been in previous years,” Junior Matthew Wray said. “Okafor is going to be an unstoppable post presence for the team.”

In addition to their 3 young centers, they’ve also added solid players in Robert Covington, Jerami Grant, and the former 8th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft, Nik Stauskas.

Expectations of Malvern students heading into this season have been higher than previous years. Junior Amir Webb said, “They will definitely be better than they have been before. I can see them getting anywhere from 25-30 wins this year.” Even with Webb’s estimation, he still anticipates 50-60 losses.

The 76ers will mostly struggle due to their young and inexperience. They have talented players, but they lack the chemistry needed in order to be a quality team and contend for a championship. The only way to solve that is with time.

But our time will come Sixers fans, and when the Sixers are NBA Champions in 2020, we can look back fondly on the previous seasons forfeited in order to get there. According to Hall of Famer Julius Erving, the Sixers rebuild plan is a 7 year plan, which began in 2012. Therefore, the goal of contending for a title would be in the 2018-2019 season. So we’re almost halfway there guys, and once we do get “there”, the reward will be worth it.

So will the Sixers still be the laughing stock this season?

They absolutely will. So strap in Sixers fans, because it will be another tank-filled season, and most likely will be until at least 2018.