What You Missed – Dec. 7-14, 2015

Stressing out over Christmas and didn’t catch the news? Don’t worry about it, we’ve got the five most important stories right here.

[toggle title=”Agreement reached in Paris climate talks” state=”close”]

An agreement was reached in the climate talks held in Paris on Saturday, going up to the last plenary session.

Over 195 countries, including the United States, signed onto the deal which attempts to rein in carbon emissions and contain the global rise in temperatures to 2 degrees celsius.

President Obama hailed the agreement, saying it was “the one chance we have to save the one planet we’ve got.”

Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell levied criticism at the deal, saying that the president was “writing checks he can’t cash, and stepping over the middle class to take credit for an ‘agreement’ that is subject to change in 13 months.”

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”CNN announces debate lineup” state=”close”]

On CNN’s Sunday program ‘State of the Union” hosted by Jake Tapper, the lineup for Tuesday’s Republican debate was announced.

On the main stage at 8:30, the following nine candidates will appear: Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Carly Fiorina, Rand Paul, and John Kasich.

On the first stage for the debate at 6:00, four candidates made the cut: Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Lindsay Graham, and George Pataki.

This is a large change from the last debate hosted by Fox Business, as Chris Christie will return to the main stage, and George Pataki and Lindsey Graham will return for the undercard debate.

The debate will be moderated by Wolf Blitzer, with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt and CNN’s chief political correspondent Dana Bash as questioners.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Trump, Carson threaten third party runs after talks of brokered convention” state=”close”]

The Washington Post reported Thursday that the Republican National Committee (RNC), including chair Reince Priebus, is preparing for a contested or brokered convention next summer if Donald Trump keeps his lead in the race.

The findings were denounced by Trump and Ben Carson, who both threatened to run third party if the RNC goes on with this strategy.

“If the leaders of the Republican Party want to destroy the party, they should continue to hold meetings like the one described in the Washington Post [Thursday] morning,” Ben Carson said in response to the news.

“I assure you Donald Trump won’t be the only one leaving the party,” he went on to say.

A contested convention is when a candidate does not carry a simple majority of the 2,472 delegates in the primary season going into the convention. A brokered convention is when the selection of the nominee goes past the first ballot.

The last contested convention was in 1976 between then-president Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan, and the last brokered convention was in 1952 when Democrat Adlai Stevenson won the nomination after three ballots on the convention floor.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”French far right lose all gains in last round of regional elections” state=”close”]

After the French far-right Front National Party (FN) had a lead in six of France’s 13 regions in the first round of voting last week, the party enters this week with no regions under its control.

Tactical voting on the part of France’s left wing played a large role in preventing FN from winning, as the ruling Socialist Party withdrew candidates in certain regions and urged people in those regions to vote for the main opposition, Les Républicains.

In mainland France, Les Républicains have seven regions of France, and the Socialists have five.

Front National leader Marine Le Pen remained upbeat despite the defeat. She said that this defeat will not stop the “inexorable rise, election after election, of a national movement.”

The French Prime Minister, Socialist Manuel Valls, was less upbeat. “Tonight there is no relief, no triumphalism, no message of victory… the danger of the far-right has not been removed – far from it – and I won’t forget the results of the first round and of past elections.”

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Cruz takes the lead in Iowa” state=”close”]

A Des Moines Register/Bloomberg Politics poll released Friday has Ted Cruz leading among likely caucus goers at 31 percentage points, which is up 21 from the last poll.

Cruz leads billionaire Donald Trump by 10 points, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson by 18, Florida senator Marco Rubio by 21, and former Florida governor Jeb Bush by 25.

The rest of the Republican field polls in at 3 percentage points or lower.

Since the news has broken, Trump has gone after Cruz, saying that he has “better judgement”, and even calling Cruz “a little bit of a maniac”.

“You can’t walk into the Senate, and scream, and call people liars, and not be able to cajole and get along with people. He’ll never get anything done,” Trump said. “And that’s the problem with Ted.”

[/toggle]