Athlete of the Issue: Matt Davis

This month’s athlete of the issue is the Most Valuable Player of the Inter-Ac and PAISAA state champion golf team, Matt Davis.

The Malvern golf team had unprecedented success with a 39-2-1 record this season.

At the end of the season, the team won the Inter-Ac Individual Championship, the Inter-Ac Championship, and the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools Athletic Association (PAISAA) Championship.

Malvern’s lowest scorer was sophomore Matt Davis. Davis averaged a score of 37.6 strokes, about 1 stroke over par. His best score of the year was a 32 tying the league record. Davis also had the lowest score in three separate Inter-Ac tournaments.

Golf is a very difficult sport.

It takes full commitment and dedication to excel and the top players spend many hours a week working on their game. Although the Malvern season is only during the fall, golfers have to work on it almost all year long.

“In the winter it is tough to go out and play because of the weather,” Davis said. “So I’d say I only play about once a week, but I also hit balls and practice 2-3 times per week.”

The summer is when many golfers become fully committed to the sport.

“In the summer, I probably play 7 days a week,” Davis said.

“My favorite part of playing this year was that I just like to play the game,” Davis said.

Like any successful sports team, Malvern had great team chemistry and camaraderie.

“It was a great group and we had fun every single time we played together and we also pushed each other to get better,” Davis said. Davis said that competitiveness led to their success and their undefeated Inter-Ac record.

“My favorite memory was the trip we had to Naples, Florida for 4 days before the season started,” Davis said. “Not only was it a good time winning the Inter-Ac, but I really enjoyed the season because of the kids on the team.”