Learning Commons Builds Momentum

The 2012-2013 school year brought in many transformations to the Malvern community. The most notable of these changes was the election of Mr. Talbot to succeed Mr. Stewart at office of headmaster, to which he brought a tidal wave of new ideas – such as Sullivan’s Hall new Learning Commons.

From sugar-free drinks to 21st century education, Mr. Talbot has been slated to give Malvern the educational injection it has awaited for quite some time. The physical manifestation of this enhancement can be seen in the former library of Sullivan Hall. No longer will students go into the library to check out (or not check out) books and to study them silently under the watchful gaze of Mrs. Driscoll.

With the introduction of the Malvern Learning Commons, we see, hear, and even touch learning. With the novel idea of Ideapaint, students can collectively work together on problems that they are solving in class. The style and coordination of the facility with the desks and tables is consistent with that of college and seems to be even beneficial to the education of pupils.

Tom Ferrari ‘14 said, “The atmosphere in here is much more conducive to learning because we can openly talk about problems and we have so many avenues to pursue those answers.”

Brett Biscoll agreed that the Learning Commons was, “a step in the right direction.” He said, “I feel that this is the first step of a long journey for the revamping of Malvern’s campus.”

With some of the great things brought on by the LC, some things are unfortunately lost. Jackson Connor ’14 said, “I love the direction the school is heading in by accepting the challenge of adapting to 21st century education. However, it is now difficult to find a quiet place to study since the LC does not keep the silent atmosphere of a library.”

Connor noted, “As with anything new, there are always things to be worked out, but once those problems are sorted, the Learning Commons will reach its full potential as a learning center.”

The center was even generously donated a state of the art 3-D printer that is sure to be constructive to teachers and their classes. Mr. Kevin Whitney explained that this is an emerging technology and great addition to Malvern’s future students with aspirations of engineering.

Malvern is going into untrekked territory and becoming a pioneer for new learning styles in the area. With the establishment of the Learning Commons, our community can expect bigger and bolder projects in the future to make Malvern an institution that educates as well as cultivates.