Teacher of the Issue: Mr. Andrew DiDomenico ’02

Malvern alum turned teacher shares a glimpse into his life and career.

After graduating from Malvern Prep and then Villanova University, Mr. Andrew “DiDom” DiDomenico, ’02 decided to become a teacher and pursue teaching theology.

Since he first stepped foot on Malvern’s campus, DiDomenico has never left the Augustinian community. After graduating from Malvern in 2002 he went on Villanova University. The year after college, he served as an Augustinian volunteer at St. Rita of Cascia High School in Chicago, where he taught and worked in campus ministry.

“It was there (St. Rita’s in Chicago) that I figured out that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life,” DiDomenico said.

It was late in college before DiDomenico gave any serious thought to becoming a teacher.

“I had never thought for a second that I would be teacher when I was at Malvern, and it wasn’t until my junior or senior year in college when I started to give some thought as an occupation for me,” he said.

In addition to teaching Moral Theology and Social Justice, DiDomenico is the co-director of MECO (Malvernians Encountering Christ in Others), the senior retreat organized three times each year.

“I love working with the eleven MECO leaders who help to run each weekend, and I love the fact that the whole program is centered around Christ,” DiDomenico said. “It’s there to help our seniors develop their friendships, faith, and their love of Jesus.”

Many students and alumni consider the MECO retreats as the highlight of their Malvern experience.

“He really makes you interested in the Catholic faith. The work he puts in to make MECO happen in arguably the best thing he does for the school, and it is definitely my favorite Malvern experience,” senior Andrew Paris said.

DiDomenico says that he really enjoys working with the students on MECO. “It really brings the class together, and I’m glad I can be a part of it,” he said.

The students enjoy working with him just as much.

“I really like him as a teacher, especially because of the fact that he was a Malvern student himself, he gets what being a Malvern student is like,” senior Kyle Hegarty said.