Athlete of the Issue: Andrew Clark ’17

As Clark begins to see the end of his Malvern Lacrosse days, he looks back on his history with the sport.

“Playing for Malvern Lacrosse is like a job,” Senior Alex Reber said. “With practices and games Monday through Saturday everyone on the team has to work hard until the season is over.”

“It is important to practice when no one else is looking. Because of Malvern Lacrosse, I have become more dedicated and more motivated on and off the field,” senior Andrew Clark said.

In his third season on varsity, Clark was announced the starting goalie at the beginning of the season.

“Everything Andrew has achieved,” Head Coach Mr. John McEvoy said, “he has had to work really hard for. He made his bones the hard way, and I am very proud of him for that.”

Since Clark’s sixth grade year, he has played goalie. However, that was not always the case.

“At first I started off playing offense, which was attack, but I was not very good at it,” Clark said. “Some nights, I would play hockey goalie against my brother down in our basement, and I was pretty good with that. I figured I should try playing lacrosse goalie, and it has worked out well.”

Growing up, Clark played for Coventry Lacrosse in Chester Springs. After leaving for Malvern in eighth grade, Clark played for his new school, Fusion Lacrosse Club, and Freedom Lacrosse.

Clark has not won a championship in a Malvern uniform, yet he is confident that this will be the year.

“I think that there is something special about this team that will help us later in the season to win big games and to win a championship,” Clark said.

A teammate and close friend to Clark, senior Alex Reber, seems to have a grip on what this “special something” is about their team.

“We have really good talent and team chemistry,” Reber said. “In addition to that, the seniors have done a good job in stepping into the leadership role. It is our job to lead the younger guys and get them ready for when they are the leaders of the team.”

Next year, Clark will be taking his gifts and talents to play lacrosse at Christopher Newport University (CNU) in Virginia.

“CNU’s program is on the rise,” McEvoy said. “It is a newer program with some good coaches and they are willing to invest in it.”

McEvoy believes that Clark will have to work hard there the same way he has at Malvern.

“Clark is going there with a lot more in his bag of experiences than most of the kids are coming with,” McEvoy said. “Andrew is a really good kid, and I think that he will do really well there.”

What stands out the most to Reber about Clark is his motivation to be great.

“Everyday on the lacrosse field, Clark works really hard. He hates missing practice, and he wants to get better all the time which is unique,” Reber said.

Off the field, Clark represents Malvern Lacrosse to the best of his ability.

“It is important to be respectful and responsible towards everyone,” Clark said. “Making sure MP Lacrosse holds a great name and always thinking about that leadership role will only bring success.”