High hopes for Friar Football going into 2017 season

Players and coaches share their eagerness to play in the upcoming rematch against St. Augustine Prep in the season opener at Villanova University.

After losing last year’s season opener against St. Augustine Prep, 47-30, the Friars bounced back and shared the Inter-Ac Title with Germantown Academy. However, the Friars hope to win against their brother school on September 1, 2017 at ‘Nova.

According to the newly announced junior captain Quinn McCahon, St. Augustine Prep’s running back and quarterback are two strong, returning players this season.

“Our defense will need to step up and play well,” McCahon said. “Offensively, we have the talent to put up a lot of points this year.”

Utilizing his lacrosse skills, McCahon is quick and shifty on the football field. He noted that the physicality between both sports is very similar, because of different lateral movements and juking while trying to get past defenders.

Another offensive threat for Friar football is current sophomore Drew Gunther. At last year’s homecoming game against Germantown Academy, Gunther threw for five touchdowns in their 45-15 victory.

“My favorite route is the ten-yard-out or the slant because it is an easy way to get the wide receivers up field,” Gunther said. “The goal is for them to gain as many yards as possible.”

To prepare for the season, Malvern’s new football coach, Mr. David Gueriera, oversees Wednesday morning workouts and Saturday morning lifts.

“It is important to hit the weight room in the hope of getting bigger and stronger. We also do different drills with the quarterbacks, the wide receivers, and the linemen,” McCahon said.

Attending the Wednesday morning workouts are college football coaches. On Wednesday, May 17, coaches from Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, and Villanova scouted some of the football players.

“These workouts are a great way to build team chemistry and to prepare for the upcoming season,” sophomore Mike Hussey said.

Aside from instructing the lifts and workouts, Coach Gueriera holds a deep passion in the 2017 football team.

“My goal is to make all 60 guys on this one team have one heartbeat,” Gueriera said. “We will be relentless in our pursuit for success.”