Communications Coordinator designs for Malvern, family record label

After changing career choices, Thompson ended up doing graphic design, and now helps run a family business outside of Malvern.

Communications Coordinator Ms. Leah Thompson is Malvern’s first full-time, on-staff graphic designer. She is looking forward to working on new projects.

“It’s a lot of transitioning and trying to get things redesigned, and it’s exciting for me,” she said.

Thompson, who started at Malvern during the 2016-17 school year and is now a full-time staff member, does design work for the school’s mailouts, calendars, brochures, signs and other related print decor. Currently, Thompson is working on the new Malvern view books and mailouts in preparation for the installation of Father Reilly.

“I think that I’ll have a lot more projects rolling in because I’m new here and people are trying to figure out ways to use me,” she said.

Thompson hails from Northeast Philadelphia and graduated from Albright College in 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts. Originally Thompson attended Albright for computer science and programming, but transitioned to graphic design and the music business.

“I went to college for computer science, but once I realized coding wasn’t for me I let myself move forward from that. I liked the reward you get from creating something and seeing it work, but it’s so monotonous,” Thompson said.

Following that Thompson utilized her graphic design and music business skills to help promote new artists in the music industry. “I used my music skills to brand artists, any artists that was new to the scene and didn’t have an image I did their artwork and logos, and that’s how I got started,” she said.

From there Thompson went on to work for Color Reflections, a printing company that helped get her started in print design.

When she isn’t working on designs for Malvern or taking photos, Thompson is also the part-owner of Platinum Records LLC, a record label she started with family members. There she works on almost everything: design, contracts and correspondents. “I basically make sure everything runs smoothly,” she said.

The record label is a new experience for Thompson and her family, but she is confident they will get through problems.

“We’re starting slow but we’ll definitely get there,” Thompson said.