State of the StudCo

This busy, action-packed month held many events organized by Student Council.

From the continuation of the optional color run at the CARES walk, to the new additions to the Blue and Grey games, Student Council is proud of what they’ve accomplished since the start of the school year.

“A lot has been going on in the past month,” senior and Student Council President Liam McKnight said.

“We had our first activity schedule event with the handball tournament. That was pretty successful we’re proud of ourselves for that,” he said.

Student Council has also decided to continue the ‘Splash of Color’ at the CARES Walk Fundraiser for the second year in a row. The CARES Walk raised over $15,000 which will be split between four charities:  Evanfest, Siloam Ministries, Bringing Hope Home, and Cancer Support Community.

Next, Student Council introduced the new and improved 2017 Spirit Week.

“I think that the new Spirit Week and the Blue and Grey games were some of our most successful moments this year,” McKnight said.

New aspects of the week included the addition of bubble soccer at the Blue and Grey games.

“We introduced something new with the bubble soccer… that was something we discussed as a whole council and decided that it’d be a good idea,” he said. “So we actually went out and put that together and it seemed to be a good hit, so we’re proud of ourselves with that.”

Mcknight saw the Blue and Grey games as a standout part of Spirit Week.

“Over the past couple years, Blue and Grey games got a lot of hate. It could be boring to some people, but I think this year we amped it up and improved it with some new events to get students more involved and to not have them zone out every ten minutes,” he said.

After the busy schedule of the beginning of school and the hard work the Student Council has put in so far, they are entering into less of an activity-oriented phase

“Every year we get feedback from the Blue and Grey games. We review that and look over what we can do better for next year,” McKnight said. “So that’s what we are doing right now.  We’re kind of in a cooldown.”

McKnight said that Student Council will start planning soon for future programming. “Soon enough we’ll get involved in what we’re going to do next, like the next activity schedule, which I believe is Family Feud,” he said.

McKnight is very happy with how the month went for Student Council.

“Thanks to all of the guys who helped out and all of the students who made this a success,” he said