Nick Harris ’22 wins diving silver medal at Junior Pan American Games

Eighth grade diving phenom was invited to compete internationally, and ended up contributing towards the USA medal count.

Competing against more than 100 divers under the age of 18 from across the world, Nick Harris traveled with the USA junior national diving team to Victoria, Canada for a week long competition.

Harris practices and competes with the West Chester Diving club, coached by Thomas Gallagher.

The ultimate goal for the 2017 season was to make the Junior Pan Ams,” Gallagher said.

To qualify for a spot on the junior national team and compete at the Junior Pan Am games, divers from all over the country compete at a qualifying meet to earn a spot on the team.

The United States team only takes the top two divers from each event. Harris ended up qualifying for the 1m dive and the 3m dive for the games.

The date for the Junior Pan American games was set for September 25. Harris, along with the other 23 competitors for the USA junior national diving team, their families, and 12 coaches, set off for Victoria.

Harris did not have any prior international competition experience going into the Junior Pan Am games. Nevertheless, he set his goals high.

“My goal going into the meet was to get top five,” Harris said.

Harris’ family (mother, father, and sister) traveled with him to Canada to share the experience of his first international meet.

“I like traveling to different competitions, and I love going and supporting him,” Harris’ mother, Gwendolyn, said.

Opening ceremonies commenced on September 28. The diving portion of the Junior Pan Am games hosted around 120 divers from 45 different countries.

Harris was exposed to tough competition in all of his events.

“My best competition was a Mexican who was 13,” he said. “My dad said he was Olympic ready right now. He was insanely strong and just blew everyone away.”

His first international event was the 3m dive, where he took a sixth place finish.

In the 1m event, Harris took home the silver, scoring a 344.85. A score is a compilation of the two or more judge’s performance ratings, along with the degree of difficulty of the dive.

“I wasn’t expecting to get a silver medal because it was my first international meet,” Harris said, “but I was really happy with the performance.”

“Nick’s 1 meter competition was the best performance he has ever done,” Coach Gallagher said. “Capturing a silver medal for his first international meet was a huge accomplishment, and I know all the coaches at West Chester Diving couldn’t be more proud of him.”

Looking forward, Harris hopes that his experience at the Junior Pan Am games can translate to more opportunity in the future.

“It was an awesome trip,” Harris said, “and I hope I can get more international experience.”

Harris will be diving for Malvern Prep’s Swimming and Diving team in the winter, along with his West Chester diving team.

Nick’s next goal is to to make a Junior Worlds Team. But in the back of his head right now, he is looking at Olympic Trials for Tokyo 2020,” Gallagher said.