Teacher of the Issue: Mr. Louis Osinski

Upper School science teacher Mr. Louis Osinski reflects on his first three years at Malvern and discusses his role in the Malvern Robotics Club.

As the instructor of Physics, Engineering, and Physical and Chemical Systems, Upper School science teacher Mr. Louis Osinski’s interests and skills are very transparent. He is currently working on a virtual pinball machine, which looks like a regular pinball machine that has a screen instead of a ball and flippers.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“It’s nice being back in an Augustinian school. I jumped on it. There’s something about an Augustinian school that I enjoy. I have a tough time putting it into words, but it’s just a great place to be.”

-Mr. Louis Osinski[/perfectpullquote]

Osinski’s expertise with machinery does not go to waste. He sits underneath the wrestlers in the Alumni basement and mentors the Robotics Club, whose season just started recently. He also now possesses the title of Science Curriculum Coordinator.

“This will be my third year doing Robotics. The curriculum coordinator position just started in September,” he said.

He is adjusting well to his new position because of his previous experience at his previous places of teaching O’Hara and Monsignor Bonner.

“It is fine,” Osinski said. “I’ve been department chair before in other schools so while the curriculum coordinator is not the same thing, they are related.”

Currently, more of Osinski’s time is spent with the Robotics Club due to their building period starting on Saturday, January 13.

“There is a build season, which is a six week season in which you have six weeks to build a robot. We don’t know what the robot needs to do until the first day of that season. Then it’s released and we have six weeks to design and build the robot,” he said.

This time around, the club is being tasked with tackling a power-up theme, in which their robot has to perform several arcade relate functions.

“It’s a power-up theme, so it’s like an arcade theme. We have power-up cubes,” Osinski said. “The robot is going to have to move the power up cubes into a vault and put them onto a scale.”

Osinski has enjoyed his time teaching at Malvern so far. According to him, he truly enjoys waking up in the morning and coming to work.

“I have had opportunities in the past to do other things and I really avoided leaving the classroom. It’s just something I enjoy doing,” he said. “You either find a job and it’s a lot of money or you find a job that you really love but the truth is, it’s somewhere in the middle. I have a sweet spot.”

Another aspect of Malvern that entices Osinski is its Augustinian foundation.

“It’s nice being back in an Augustinian school. I jumped on it. There’s something about an Augustinian school that I enjoy. I have a tough time putting it into words, but it’s just a great place to be,” he said.

Outside of his day job, Osinski owns two companies.

“They’re just small companies. There are two or three people in each company that work with me,” Osinski said. “One of them is a website design company that I started back in 1997. The other is a grade book program that I started back in 2002. It’s kind of like Schoology.”

But even though there have been opportunities to go full time into his business endeavors, he never has.

“I’ve had opportunities to work full-time at both of my companies but I avoid doing that because I like teaching,” he said.