Justin Titchenell ’17, founder of CoachTools, creates platform for student athletes

As the Malvern alumnus nears his graduation from Gettysburg University, Titchenell looks to push forward his new analytics company.

A combination of a boredom and love for statistics gave Titchenell the boost that he needed to create his new platform.

“I’ve always been into stats and I’ve always looked into that kind of stuff,” he said. “And with the pandemic I just had more time. It wasn’t really like a lightbulb, but through a few weeks I just thought of things that I could be doing.”

It was then that CoachTools was born, a platform which allows coaches to track their players’ progress at schools without the resources of a NCAA Division I program.

“I saw the problem with high school or [NCAA] Division III evaluation in football,” Titchenell said. “[Division I schools] have a lot of resources but High School and Division III and Division II schools don’t.”

With this in mind, Titchenell began asking those he knew from his football experience for advice on his new idea, all responded positively.

“I started asking coaches about it, I asked Coach Gueriera and other coaches through my personal network and they all liked the idea and thought that I should roll with it,” he said.

With that, Titchenell began his work on CoachTools, recruiting other students to help him along the way. 

“When I got back to Gettysburg I asked the Computer Science department to see if the capstone kids would be able to code it,” he said. “As a part of a senior capstone for  Computer Science, I had three [students] actually build my website.”

Titchenell is well on his way towards being able to market his product, with testing beginning soon on his prototype.

“I’m planning on having five schools test it next spring, and once the testing is done, hopefully I’ll be able to start actually selling it,” he said.

As Titchenell nears the completion of his time at Gettysburg, he plans to continue a normal entry into the workforce while staying hopeful about his new product. 

“I’m graduating this spring, I’m still going to get a job, when I graduate, but I’m going to work on this and hopefully this takes off. I can make this a full time gig,” he said.