Student of the Issue: Tommy Pero ’17, Sailing His Way to the Top

Tommy Pero / J. Marchesani
Tommy Pero / J. Marchesani
Tommy Pero / J. Marchesani
Tommy Pero / J. Marchesani

Throughout the freshman class, there are many excellent students that excel not only in academics, but also in extracurricular activities. One student that stands alone is Tommy Pero. In just six months into his career ar Malvern, Tommy has accomplished more than some students do in an entire four years. Tommy has already helped to start a varsity sport, and has been involved in many other activities. In order to get inside the head of Tommy Pero, I sat down and asked him some questions about his accomplishments at Malvern so far.

PF: Let’s start with before you entered the brotherhood. Where did you grow up and what school made you the person you are today?
TP: So I grew up and currently live in Harleysville, Pennsylvania. I went to Gwynedd-Mercy Academy, and I was actually the only one from there to come to Malvern in my grade. I quickly learned the value of hard work, and trying to accomplish a goal.

PF: Okay, so what activities are you actually involved in?
TP: Well this year, I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do. I decided to quit football and decided to join the sailing and speech and debate team. I also decided to continue doing theater, which was really great.

PF: You mentioned MTS, how did you initially start with play and how have you liked your experience?
TP: Well, I knew on the first day of school that there were play auditions, and I actually didnt have anything to do after school so I just thought, “Why not try out for the play?” I ended up getting a really good part, and I know it’s something I wanna keep doing.

PF: We recently saw you deliver a presentation to the whole school, could you tell us how you started with that project and what you took from this experience?
TP: Sure. So I wrote an essay to be selected for the project, and I worked with Matt Heisler and Arjun Menon. The project was a really, really cool and experience that I learned a lot from. I think the most important thing that I took away from it was the importance of listening and the impact a good leader can have.

PF: Now you are one of the people who founded the sailing team here at Malvern, what gave you this idea and who was on your team with you?
TP: Well, I actually did not found the sailing team. Kieran Cullen actually founded it last year. I met him at the fall play auditions, and he talked me into joining the team. The spring season just started a couple weeks ago, and we got more people to join.

PF: How have you been able to balance school work with the other activities you are a part of?
TP: Well, I guess the most important thing is just to try and stay relaxed and just get as much sleep as possible. I also do a lot of my work in the morning, which gives me more time at after school to do other things.

PF: What have you enjoyed at Malvern that has changed you into a better person?
TP: I think all the opportunities here taught me really important things to know in life, and I think that’s just all part of the whole experience here at Malvern.

PF: What has been your favorite moment that you experienced here at Malvern?
TP: That’s really tough. But, I think it would have to be the sailing team. I’ve had a lot of really great experiences.

With so much accomplished already, it will be great to see what Tommy achieves over his next three years at Malvern.