Malvern alum Ryan Nassib ’08 establishes presence in NFL

It has been a busy summer for New York Giants Quarterback and Malvern graduate Ryan Nassib ‘08.

Nassib has matched the high expectations set for him by the Giants’ coaching staff going into this NFL preseason. He has earned the backup spot behind two-time Super Bowl winner Eli Manning.

Nassib was selected in the fourth round as the 110th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft out of Syracuse University. 

After a season as the third string quarterback, there were concerns going into this year about his decision making and accuracy after struggling in the 2013-2014 preseason.

The Giants’ preseason began with the annual Hall of Fame Game against the Buffalo Bills. The Giants won the game, and there were highs and lows to Nassib’s performance.

Statistically, he looked fine, throwing for 139 yards and a touchdown. However, he received some criticisms for a pass he threw that hit Bills safety Russ Cockrell in stride for an interception (although later called off due to a penalty). 

After the game, questions still remained about whether or not Nassib could beat out veteran Curtis Painter for the second-string quarterback job.

The next game for the Giants was against the Pittsburgh Steelers, in which Nassib had a difficult time with his decision making. After relieving Nassib late in the game, Painter played well, leading people to believe he would take the number 2 job from Nassib.

However, a week later, when the Giants played the Indianapolis Colts, Nassib led a comeback at the end of the game to win, 27-26. Nassib threw the game winning touchdown pass with just four seconds left to earn the victory. He went 11-for-15 for 158 yards and a touchdown. The impressive performance kept his momentum going into the next week.

In the following week, the Giants took on the Jets, and Nassib shined. Nassib completed 8 of 12 passes for 103 yards, and threw three touchdown passes. In contrast to his performance against the Steelers, Nassib looked poised and comfortable in the Giants’ offense, and continually led the offense down the field.

This performance, combined with his impressive performance against the Colts, has silenced doubters in his ability to be the backup to Eli Manning. Nassib has locked himself in as the #2 quarterback, making Painter expendable.

In a year where there are doubts about starter Eli Manning’s ability, we may even see Ryan Nassib take his first snaps in an NFL regular season game.