Student of The Issue – Sean Ward ‘17

With a 4.45 GPA, sophomore Sean Ward has the highest GPA in his class for the third quarter, in a grade with 50 students who received distinguished honors. Even with such a high GPA, Sean has a rigorous set of classes, including honors chemistry, honors US history, and several other honors courses. Sean is also the first chair trumpet player in the school’s band, and rows crew.

Sean Ward
Sean Ward

Where are you from?
I’m from Downingtown, and that’s where I live now.

When did you come to Malvern, and why did you choose to come here?
I came here freshman year. I didn’t initially want to come to Malvern, but after I shadowed for a day and saw what daily life on campus was like I decided to come. I think that the teachers are great here and Malvern offers great opportunities for academics, athletics, and even clubs.

What are some activities that you participate in here at Malvern?
I have been on the rowing team here since the winter of my freshman year. I’ve also played Freshman and JV soccer for the past two years. I’m also in the Speech and Debate club, Mock Trial, and I’m part of the World Affairs club

What are some things you like to do in your free time?
I’m usually pretty busy on weeknights, but on weekends and the days that I have off I like to play basketball in my driveway. I recently led my CYO team to an unprecedented 3-win season, after not winning a game last season. I also like to watch movies or lift weights in my basement when I get the chance.

What is your biggest goal for the final quarter of this year?
Academically, my biggest goal is to do well on my finals and get distinguished honors for the fourth quarter. Athletically, I want to win more races. So with little time left in the school year, I want to concentrate and finish it out.

Any changes you would make to Malvern?
I like the block schedule because it gives students more time to get their work done in school. It’s really helpful to me because I usually get home really late every night. I know that a lot of people don’t like the new schedule, but I think that it’ll get them ready for college and assist in time-management.

I do think that community time should be formatted a little better because often times students in specialty homerooms can’t always set up meetings and see teachers. I also think that there should be a separate learning commons for middle schoolers. That way the learning commons won’t always be so crowded and the high school students could go to the learning commons during the second block.

I also think that the cafeteria should either completely do away with soda or just have regular soda. Diet soda is worse for you than regular soda, and no one likes it anyway.

What’s your best moment at Malvern?
My best moment is probably getting the highest GPA award this quarter, but I hope that my best moments at Malvern are still yet to come.

What is your main goal after college?
I’m not sure what profession I want to go into after college. A few possibilities that come to mind are business and medicine. Whatever I go into, I hope it’s a job where I can help people, be happy doing it, and make a comfortable living.

View Comments (1)