The Philly Car Show

It’s that time of the year again (no, I am not referring to my annual mental breakdown) when dealerships of all different car brands haul in their newest models, and occasionally prototypes, to the Philadelphia Convention Center. This year the show is from January 28 to February 5, and features a variety of new cars from brands like Mercedez-Benz, Kia, Lexus, Toyota, Porche, GMC, Mitsubishi, BMW, and of course the exotics (Bentley, Maserati, Rolls-Royce, and Aston Martin).

My friend and I went to the show on the 28th (a Saturday night) and we were not disappointed (not that we had any other plans). Although, we did notice that a lot of cars are starting to resemble what it’s design team had for lunch, or so it appears. Call me crazy, but do the X6 and the Prius not resemble an egg? Do the Infiniti SUV’s not look like giant beans? Maybe I was just hungry when I walked through the show, after all, I was holding an over-salted pretzel. It was also interesting to see how certain updated models resembled another brand’s car. Tell me the new M class is not a knock off of the BMW X5. Tell me the Jeep Cherokee is not a total rip off of the previous M class. (I’m sure there was more but I just can not think of them at the moment.) But comparing cars and agitating sales people over these comparisons is all part of the fun at the Philly Car Show.

I strongly encourage everyone to go and see all the new cars available on the market, regardless if you are on the hunt for a new car. Even though the show lacked prototypes and was confined into two show rooms, they made it worth the $12 admission ticket by incorporating van sized RV’s, it was a nice touch. Tickets can be purchased online, or at the door. Make sure you bring a friend or two! If you do end up going, make sure you leave a comment telling me your favorite car. Mine was the Aventador, even though I am not a Lamborghini guy.