Student of the Issue: Patrick Keenan ’18

Junior Patrick Keenan is thriving both in and out of the classroom.

keenan
Keenan is in his third year at Malvern Prep and taking advantage of every moment in the classroom and in the boat.

Traveling from Bryn Mawr, the usual commute takes Patrick Keenan 40 minutes every morning. He had other closer options to choose from, but he chose Malvern Prep because he thought it would be the most beneficial and because he could give the most back to the community.

Keenan is a three year member of the rowing team, and is thriving under Coach Craig Hoffman’s vigorous schedule.

Keenan finished the season off right last year placing fourth in Scholastic Nationals in the lightweight quad, and well as finishing sixth in the lightweight double at Youth Nationals. His success continued throughout the summer placing first in the lightweight double at Canadian Henley, one of the largest regattas in North America. “It was really unexpected,” Keenan said. “ I rowed with Tim Scheuritzel from Haverford and we just went out and did our best.”

Keenan enjoys hanging out with friends, playing fantasy football, and watching basketball. He is also a contributing member of the Peer Educators Club and Diversity Club. “Crew takes up so much time each week so it is hard to get involved in other activities, but I like to try my best to do more than just one thing.”

His favorite subject in school is Physics.

“It just seems to work for me,” he said. “So far, I am enjoying all the formulas and different topics we plan on covering this year.”

His favorite teacher this year is Mr. Dougherty. Keenan loves the enthusiasm Dougherty brings to class and his way of teaching in class.

Keenan hopes to continue his success both in and out of the classroom during junior and senior years.

“I’m enjoyed my time here so far,” Keenan said. “I just hope I can keep it going .”