Athlete of the Issue: Kevin McGeary ’14

When it comes to accomplished Malvern athletes, senior Kevin McGeary is at the top of the list. McGeary starts on three varsity teams: golf, hockey, and lacrosse.

This past fall, McGeary was an integral part of the golf’s team championship season. He played in the 5th spot and was a first team All Inter Ac selection.

This winter season, McGeary is captaining the hockey team.  The team is 12-5 overall and is in third place. He has been a four year starter for the Friars.

In the spring, he will play a huge role as one of nine senior leaders on the lacrosse team. McGeary is one of the few lacrosse player who has been on the varsity team since freshman year.  He and his fellow Friars will be looking to repeat as Inter Ac champions this spring.

This upcoming fall, McGeary will be playing lacrosse for the University of Pennsylvania and will be studying in the Wharton School of Business.

BH: Out of the three varsity sports you play, which is your favorite?

KM:  My favorite sport is lacrosse, but the others are close.

BH: What has been your fondest athletic memory for each team?

KM:  My fondest moment in lacrosse is the Inter-Ac championship we won last year. For golf it is the Inter-Ac championship we won this year. For hockey it is the winter classic game we got to play in at Citizens Bank Park last year.

BH: Exactly how many varsity letters have you racked up in your four years?

KM:  I will have 10 by the end of lacrosse season, but currently have 9 letters.

BH: What are your expectations for the lacrosse team this year?

KM: I am really excited for this lacrosse season. I think we have a lot of talent and if we work hard we could hopefully win a championship.

BH: Will you try to pursue golf and/or hockey at Penn or will you focus solely on lacrosse?

KM: I would love to continue playing golf and hockey next year, but it would be too difficult with lacrosse and school.

BH: Which professional athlete would you compare yourself to?

KM: I could not think of any hockey or lacrosse players to compare myself to, but a golfer came to mind. Tiger is my favorite golfer and I am not saying I am like him with my talent levels, but we are both very confident in ourselves and sometimes overconfident.

View Comments (1)