Malvern’s Own Ryan Nassib is Ready for the NFL Draft

Ryan Nassib, MP ’08

This past week, I had the opportunity to do an email interview with Ryan Nassib, former Malvern Prep and current Syracuse University quarterback.

Ryan had remarkable athletic and academic careers at both schools.  In his senior season for the Friars, he threw for 6 touchdowns and 858 passing yards, with a 58.1% completion percentage He led Malvern to a 9-1 record and an Inter Ac title.  This past season for Syracuse, Ryan led the Orange to an 8-5 record and a 38-14 victory in the Pinstripe Bowl over West Virginia.  Over the course of 13 games, he threw for 3,749 yards, 26 touchdowns, and completed 62.4% of his passes.  Ryan had the best season for a Syracuse quarterback since Donovan McNabb by breaking multiple records previously set by McNabb, including yards and completion percentage.

For the next couple of weeks, Ryan will be extremely busy as he is preparing for the NFL draft.  Experts are predicting he has the potential to be taken as high as the second round at the draft, which takes place from April 25th through the 27th at Radio City Musical Hall in New York City.

Hallinan: Your final game as a college football player was played in the Pinstripe Bowl versus West Virginia at Yankee Stadium on ESPN.  What was that experience like, and were you nervous knowing that you were going up against Geno Smith, one of the top quarterbacks in the country?

Nassib: Playing in the Pinstripe Bowl was one of the most memorable moments in my career. Especially because it was my last time wearing a Syracuse uniform.  It was a very emotional day. I wasn’t too worried about playing against Geno Smith, I trusted our defense and our defensive coaches that they had a good plan and the defense was going to play hard and physical

Hallinana: Also, for your last regular season game you had the opportunity to play at Lincoln Financial Field.  What was it like playing on the field of your favorite NFL team, the Eagles?

Nassib: Playing in Philly was another awesome experience. I have been in the stands watching Eagles’ games for a long time, and actually having the chance to play on their field in front of a lot of family and friends. It was really cool.

Hallinan: As you know, the Eagles have brought in a new coaching staff under Oregon’s former coach, Chip Kelly, and their quarterback position is essentially up for grabs.  How would you feel if you were drafted by the Eagles, and had the opportunity to compete for their starting job and the opportunity learn from Chip Kelly?

Nassib: Being drafted to Philadelphia to play for Chip Kelly would be an awesome opportunity. Not only because the Eagles have been my team ever since I was a kid, but also having the chance to play in an electrifying offense like Coach Kelly’s would be extremely fun.  But at the end of the day, you don’t choose where you get drafted and I would make the best out of any opportunity with any team.

Hallinan: You recently were down in Alabama for the Senior Bowl.  What was it like playing against the most talented defensive players in the country, some of whom you have not had the opportunity to play against during your time at Syracuse?

Nassib: Playing in the Senior Bowl was a fun, yet extremely challenging experience playing against the top talent in college football. I had learned a lot and met a lot of great people. Overall, it was a great experience.

Hallinan: In football, the quarterback is expected to be the leader and the guy the team looks up to.  What did you learn at Malvern that helped you become a better leader on and off the football field?

Nassib: At my time at Malvern I learned how to be a team player and how important discipline is for a football team. I had always tried to make sure I was always prepared at Malvern, and that my teammates could always come to me with anything they needed. Can’t tell you how much I miss playing on that field and with the guys on my team. Great memories.

Hallinan: What were a few of your fondest memories of Malvern? Any specific teachers, classes, games that you remember?

Nassib: My fondest memories at Malvern were Inter-ac football games, home basketball games, lunch period at Stewart Hall, training in the weight room after school, and being a MECO leader. My time at Malvern was full of times with great teachers who not only prepared me for college and for life, but shaped me into the man I am today. Enjoy your time at Malvern, because it is going to be one of the best times of your life. It goes way too fast.