State of the Student Council

From left to right: Brennan Offshack (Vice President), Sonny Petricca (President)

Hello Malvern Prep Community!

We are excited to share with you some details about what to expect for the school year and what we’re working on at the moment. To start, we’d like to thank all of the class officers, the executive board, Dr. Dlugos and Mrs. Peslak for their time and effort in making this year as enjoyable as possible. We have some big plans in the works, and we’re very optimistic about what this year will bring. 

For one, so many doors have opened with pandemic restrictions being relaxed. We’re excited to be able to bring back the events we have all grown to cherish and introduce these to the underclassmen so they will carry them on. Most important for us right now is Spirit Week. We have been working tirelessly planning the week and its events. Jack Onderdonk ‘22, our right hand man, really wants us to have a faculty bench-press competition. We don’t know how we feel about that one, but everything else should be fun. We’re planning all the normal events, such as a handball tournament, different (new) dress down day ideas, a lip sync battle, and the pep rally of course. We hope this will open the floodgates for a plethora of Friday Morning Rallies and fun holiday activities, including but not limited to: the Thanksgiving meal, dodgeball tournament, talent show, and charity basketball games. 

Malvern’s traditions are what make the school community special and memorable, like singing Wild Rover at the talent show and beating Haverford in lacrosse every year. From the beginning, we have stressed the importance of keeping these traditions while improving upon them and creating new ones. It’s essential the underclassmen experience these traditions and keep them alive, in order to help them understand what makes Malvern such a great place, especially after our limited events last year. We hope to get the freshman and sophomores more involved in these events, and we’ve already begun doing so through our time with the underclassmen class officers. We’re excited to bring on a team of new freshman officers as well. They will be included in the planning of all of these events as we groom the new class of student council to carry the torch. 

Of course, we still need to go out with a bang. Once we get past Christmas, our time to create new events will come. We’re hoping to make some kind of memorable activity after Christmas, because it seems like in years past, after the talent show, the student council events have gone dry. We’re not sure exactly what we’re going to do next, but it will definitely be better than Februhairy. Friday Morning Rallies need to be a more consistent thing in our community, and there are so many options for different events every Friday. Some things we have in the works are math competitions, different sporting challenges, and student video/act submissions. 

If we had to describe this school year using a plot diagram, we’d say that we’re about to enter the rising action part of the 2021-2022 school year, and when the ball gets rolling, we don’t plan on stopping it until June. There’s a lot of things to look forward to here on campus before it’s all said and done this spring. We have an incredible group of students to help us with ideas along the way. Our excitement for this year is through the roof, we’re excited to be able to share the Malvern Prep experience with you guys. Buckle up. Go Friars!