Seussical, Jr. Company Delivers Top-Notch Performances

A production’s a production no matter how small… This Seussian paraphrase rang true with Malvern Theatre Society’s production of Seussical Jr., starring the students from Malvern Prep’s middle school and the middle school girls from Lower Villa Maria Academy.  The show was directed by Dr. Jim Fry and Mrs. Bridget Velardi, and ran for two performances on Saturday, January 26, 2013.

This musical combines many of Dr. Seuss’s greatest tales set to music, including the famous “Alone in the Universe.”  Malvern Theatre Society’s production show starred seventh grader Christian Frank as Horton the Elephant, returning from his previous role as Aladdin in last year’s performance,

As a high school member of MTS, I volunteered to help out Dr. Fry with some of the behind the scenes work. Upon starting, I figured I’d be doing small jobs and just trying to stay out of the way of the production team, but I soon realized I was given more respect (and responsibility) than expected. A lot of the actors asked for my suggestions, which caught me completely off guard, because I was a part of the high school shows. They looked up to me and all of the other high school volunteers.

But after watching a few rehearsals, I realized that a lot of these kids deserved looking up to; so talented, so professional, and so humble. These young actors were in sixth, seventh, and eighth grade, and already understood the commitment required for a successful theatre production.

When opening night arrived, their first performance was cancelled due to inclement weather, but the performers and crew quickly adjusted to the addition of a matinee along with the previously scheduled performance the next day. In the end, a much-deserved crowded house enjoyed both flawless performances.

Congratulations to the Cast and Crew of Seussical Jr!