Movie review: Avengers introduces new villain, groundwork for future films

A Review of the 2015 Blockbuster film Avengers: Age of Ultron

The Avengers
    The Avengers

Director Joss Whedon, King of the Nerds, returns to us again with another great Avengers movie.

The cast of the first Avengers movie reprises their roles as the Avengers in this second installment in the Marvel’s Avengers Franchise. Following the destruction of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the discovery that Hydra was S.H.I.E.L.D., the Avengers search for Loki’s Scepter in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

With the discovery of Baron von Strucker’s fortress, Iron Man penetrates the fortress, and he retrieves the scepter, but before he grabs the scepter, the Scarlet Witch makes his worst fears come true. Following these events, Tony Stark, Iron Man, creates Ultron, an A.I. meant for peacekeeping, but he believes human extinction is the key to peace. The Avengers must fight Ultron to destroy him and save the World.

Whedon has created a sequel to the first Avengers and Captain America The Winter Soldier. The film lasting 2 hours and 21 minutes is action-packed. Jimmy Faunce ‘16 said, “there was a ton of explosion and action.”

The film continues the Marvel Cinematic Franchise, and creates a background for many of the upcoming Marvel movies such as Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, and Avengers: Infinity War Parts 1 and 2. These additions made me really happy because I did not know the premise of either Black Panther or Captain America: Civil War. After seeing the movie, I was really hyped for the four new movies.

Ultron is the key to the success of the new Avengers film. I was a fan of Loki because of his connection to Thanos, and I was worried that Producer Kevin Feige would not be able to tie Ultron with the Infinity Stone hunt. My worries were relieved when I saw Ultron. Ultron represents an omniscient villain with no actual flaw, where Loki lacked conviction. Ultron created a real challenge for the Avengers and a great foe in this film. Without a doubt, he is the best villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Feige and Whedon also put one new incredible character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, The Vision. Next to Ultron, this character was the other great part of the movie. The Vision has the power of the mind stone and its abilities. He has super strength and flying capabilities. Any scene that The Vision entered was awesome. He was either using his forehead beam to eliminate Ultron’s minions or tearing apart other minions of Ultron. The Vision was a great addition to the Avengers and, next to Thor, the most powerful Avenger.

I think the most unrecognized person in the entire production of this film was Andy Serkis. He played Ulysses Klaw and also did all of the interface (CGI) effects for the movie. The CGI in the film was amazing. The effects were incredible but not to a point where they were overdone. The visual effects in this movie were great, and Andy Serkis and his studio deserves a real round of applause.

Lastly, the plot. The plot for the film was good. I believe that it was missing some details. I understand that they do not want to repeat the first film, but the movie lacked any team assemblement like the first Avengers. Instead, they made the Avengers individually recover from the Scarlet Witch. I was not a fan of that whatsoever, because there was no epic scene like the one from the first movie. Outside of the lack of assemblement, the plot was pretty good.
    Finally, my actual review:

Category:
    Scoring
    CGI and effects
    10/10
    Plot
    7/10
    Action
    10/10
    Characters
    9/10
    One-Liners
    10/10