What You Missed – Oct. 11-18, 2015

The biggest goings-on of the past week just for you

We get it. You got really, really busy last week, and you couldn’t catch the news. Lucky for you, here are the five biggest stories in bite-sized snippets.

[toggle title=”CNN hosts first Democratic Presidential Debate” state=”close”]

On October 13th 2015, CNN with Facebook hosted the first Democratic Debate of the bid for the 2016 Democratic Presidential nomination between Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Martin O’Malley, Jim Webb, and Lincoln Chafee.

Major topics of debate included race, domestic privacy, Wall Street reform, income inequality, college affordability, Benghazi and Clinton’s emails, and intervention in Middle East.

Many media sources, including CNN, have touted Hillary Clinton as the “winner” of the debate.

However, an informal and unscientific poll done by Time Magazine concluded Bernie Sanders the victor.

Saturday Night Live’s skit of the Debate has warranted lots of attention, and in particular Larry David’s portrayal of Bernie Sanders. Watch the video here.

The next Democratic Debate is November 14th 2015 hosted by CBS News.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Lamar Odom, Ex-NBA Star, hospitalized” state=”close”]

Lamar Odom, NBA star and estranged husband to Khloe Kardashian, was found unconscious in a Las Vegas brothel last weekend.

He was found to be on multiple drugs including cocaine and a natural sexual enhancement pill, according to according to PEOPLE Magazine.

Odom was originally struggling in the hospital, with a 50/50 chance of living, but has since woken up and asked to see his kids and immediate family, according to E! Online.

As of 10/18/15 he has been making slow progress, but is still under dialysis due to kidney failure.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Turkey shoots down unidentified drone” state=”close”]

The Turkish military reported Friday that it shot down an unidentified drone that violated its airspace.

The Pentagon has alleged that it was Russian in origin, although the Russian military denies it.

The airspace near Turkey has gotten crowded with the presence of both coalition and Russian military aircraft performing strikes in Syria and Iraq. This also isn’t the first time that Russia has violated Turkish airspace.

This is the latest chapter in Russian intervention in Syria to assist embattled President Bashar Al-Assad, to the annoyance of the United States and its allies.

Russia has stated that it is striking ISIS and similar groups, while the Pentagon alleges Russia is mainly striking rebel groups.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”White House memo leaks, exposes discrepancy in Iraq War buildup” state=”close”]

The Daily Mail reported on Saturday on a leaked White House memo allegedly showing former British Prime Minister Tony Blair saying one thing to the public, but another behind closed doors about war in Iraq.

The memo stated that in early 2002 that Blair “will be with us should military operations be necessary”, at a time when he said that “this is a time to consider all options”, according to the Guardian.

Alex Salmond, the foreign affairs spokesman of the Scottish National Party and former Scottish First Minister, said the memo shows “that the military timetable and preparation for invasion took precedence over diplomacy”.

Salmond also said “the net was now closing” around Blair, according to the Telegraph.

A spokesman for Blair said that the contents of the memo were consistent with his public statements, according to the BBC.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Secretary Kerry to speak with Israeli and Palestinian leaders amid violence” state=”close”]

Secretary of State John Kerry has confirmed that he will speak with Israeli and Palestinian leaders in the wake of a new wave of violence across Israel and Palestine the past two weeks.

Kerry will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu before meeting with his Palestinian counterpart, Mahmoud Abbas, according to the Guardian.

The violence began in response to a rumor of change in how Israel was going to alter an agreement to share a Jerusalem holy site in favor of Jews, according to the BBC.

Since, seven Israelis and 44 Palestinians have died this month this month, CNN reported. The most recent attack in Beersheva left an Israeli soldier dead and more wounded Sunday evening.

[/toggle]